Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My son has just bought a mondeo zetec 2001 model and he tells me that the switch to adjust the mirrors is not there. I have not looked at it yet but assume it has been snapped off. How do I remove and replace it please? I have seen plenty of replacement parts on fleabay but this is a new animal to me. I knock about in 20+ year old cars usually so I'm not up to speed with all this new fangled stuff. Electric mirros indeed!!

Shay

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
there's usually an adjuster "joystick" in the passenger compartment, looks like this,

this just prises in and out of the dash, with a small blade flat screwdriver, and unplugs on the back, if you don't have one of these the mirrors are manual, and have levers coming out the mirror area part of the doors.

these are interchangeable as long as you have the right part, if the mirrors are folding, you need a switch for folding mirrors, if they are not, then the mirror and two arrow markings on the above switch will be replaced with a 0 instead,
these appear to be the same as mk1/2 mondeo mirror joysticks and might be the same, if looking in scrapyards for parts...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks siruncle. Excellent feedback. I will have a look next time the car is still for long enough.

BTW What a gif!!

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Thanks siruncle. Excellent feedback. I will have a look next time the car is still for long enough.

BTW What a gif!!
I rather like it too...

I believe mk3 mondy ones are in the inner trim panels behind the mirrors on the doors, mk2 mondys its above right of the radio (you'll need to sit in car for that)

Here's a useful link for mk3's, There is a few how-to's in there including the blackeyes mod, which looks good in black and other colours, dependent on car colours... lol
http://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Category:Mondeo_Mk3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just been to look at the car. The switch is mounted on a bit of corner window trim parallel with the drivers mirror and the middle knob is definitely not there.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
does it definitely have the markings as above pics do on what remains? if so, its just prise that out, disconnect, lob it in the bin, get new/replacement one, plug in and bung it in the hole

if you're doing it, the charge should be 1 pint... lol

·
Premium Member
19,696 Posts
if its a UK spec mk3 mondy then it will have electric adjust wing mirrors ( its only if you buy a Irish spec that you can sometimes find manual mirrors on a mk3 as they are strange over in ireland
( they have European spec mondies which can mean lots of oddness
)

as for the adjustment switch then unless its been messed with then it should be the switch type with the aroow O arrow as pre-facelift powerfolds in the uk are hens teeth as i dont think anybody ever specced em when new or even imported them as a mod etc

as above it should easily enough prise out of the drivers door trim panel but if like my motas mirror switch it wont then dont try too hard or you will just feck up the plastics
, using a small flat screwdriver prise out the little cap that can be found near the bottom of the panel about half way along its side

then remove the rather long ( for size of trim panel its holding anywhoo
) philips/cross head screw & then the entire panel the switch is in can be pulled offthe door ( its held inplace now by a couple of metal pushclips so just needs a bit of assistance to come off ( dont pull too hard though as the mirror switch is still connected to the door wiring loom : } )

then you can prise the loom plug out of the switch & work on removing the switch from the trim panel in a more suitable location nearer to all the big tools
( the trouble with mine was the metal clips that should hold the switch in frmly had got pushed in too far & had sprung out the back of the trim panel & expanded thus preventing the switch from moving at all ( they normally just compress & stay in the trim panel hole etc )

refitting is a doddle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks compuwiz. Good clear instructions yet again - what a forum!

I will check this out next chance I get.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts