Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2002 Mondeo Zetec and over the last six months, the rear suspension has developed a rattle. This was initially on the drivers side and what I assumed to be loose items in the boot.

However, this has gradually got worse and is now occuring on both sides at the rear of the car. Im assuming it the suspension anyhow and is extremely annoying!

Is anyone aware of any issues with the suspension, my local dealer will inspect the car for £50, but i'd rather do a bit of research first.

Any help is appreciated.

TIA, Mike

·
Big Megger
235 Posts
Have you got rear discs ?

When it happens does it stop if you brake gently ?

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,548 Posts
Could be any of the above,but it could also be
that the shockers are worn,when they wear you can get a metallic sort of rattle from them.
It is wear in the piston and rod that causes it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Yes, it does have rear discs, but im unsure if it stops when I brake lightly. The car has just had completely new discs and pads all round, but the noise was there beforehand.

Also, the car has done 52k miles and im just wondering how much this is likely to cost me if it is the bushes/shockers and I do take it to a Ford dealer.

Mike

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
poly subframe bushes can be had for about £80 a set and from other threads they can be done by any semi competent person followed by 4 wheel laser alignment :L

·
Big Megger
416 Posts
is it crucial to have the laser alignment following subframe bush replacement ?
my local garage says no , unless the frame is removed totally, they dropped it down to do it.
half the price of what frauds quoted as well for the job.

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
feel free to take a chance on wearing tyres out without needing to , most places wil check the alignment without charge , and only charge when adjustment is needed :L

·
Big Megger
235 Posts
Since you do have rear discs - just double check whether it ceases to make the rattle (when rattling) if you brake very very gently.

·
MEG Corporal
435 Posts
Did you take it to the garage in the end?

If so what did they say?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.