Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, firstly, brilliant site here, really great to read through, esp the Wiki.

Now onto my car.

Recently bought a 03/53 plate Mondeo Zetec 130 TDCI (just before christmas), so far done about 2000 trouble free miles (bar having the DMF clutch and starter changed, fortunately the seller paid for most of that!)

However, since having the DMF etc changed on tuesday, my MPG has been truly awful. Usually i get around 500/550 miles from a tank full (i usually run down to when the light pings on), however as it stands i've done about 180 miles and i've used half a tank!

I've not been driving it any differently than usual, my commute to work is 2 miles B roads, 19/20 miles dual carriageway, 1/2 miles through town, and having been driving any faster or more aggresively, so i'm stumped as to why the MPG is so bad all of a sudden?

Also yesterday morning on the way to work i had the dreaded flashing loss of power, flashing glow plug light, and engine cut out (while trundling along at 80mph...). Managed to pull over to the inside lane and do a restart while still going, and was then fine for another few miles, then the glowplug light started flashing again, and kept flashing for another 4/5 miles or so, but no other symptoms, then it cut out again.

Driving home last night, and to the shops last night, and to work this morning it's been fine again.

I'm flummoxed. If it cuts out again i'll phone the RAC out and see if there are any codes etc, then hopefully i can get the garage where i bought it from to fix it, but is there anything i should be looking at/for in the meantime?

Cheers in advance,
Tink.

·
Previous MEG Sergeant
733 Posts
You need the codes read to diagnose properly. It may be a coincidence that the issues are since the DMF change, then again it may not.

Having the codes read will allow us to help you better.

There is no mention of service history also. My first step would be to change the fuel filter for a delphi, bosch or Ford one, and have the codes read ASAP.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Buying an F-Super from eBay is really a saving grace when it comes to diagnosing these sort of problems. Ive used a generic fault code reader before I had my F-Super because I had flashing glow plug light and kept going into limp mode and it didnt read anything, got the F-Super and it diagnosed it straight away. (turned out to be sticky variable vanes in the turbo which Im going to clean myself).

If you can get an F-Super for about £22.50 off ebay and you have access to a laptop then you'll save yourself taking it to fraud to diagnose for £99.

Also do you have any other symptons? Like a lot of smoke from exhaust, lumpy idle or anything else?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, cheers for the replies.

It's been a bit lumpy on idle when first starting the past couple of days, sorts itself out after a minute or so though. No other symptoms, doesn't smoke any more than normal (bit of white smoke in the morning when its cold, clears up when the engine gets up to temperature)

It has full ford service history, last serviced about 6k miles ago.

Cleaned the MAF and the EGR valve this afternoon, MAF was pretty clean, and the EGR had a few mm of black gunky crap on the inside, but can't have been blocking more than 5% of the bore of the valve.

With regards to the OBD scanners, do i need an F super, or would any OBD scanner work? what about this one? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM-327-Rev-3-CAR-DIAGNOSTIC-CODE-READER-SCANNER-OBD2-CAN-/200660130864?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2eb8469c30#ht_2848wt_1270

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, cheers for the replies.

It's been a bit lumpy on idle when first starting the past couple of days, sorts itself out after a minute or so though. No other symptoms, doesn't smoke any more than normal (bit of white smoke in the morning when its cold, clears up when the engine gets up to temperature)

It has full ford service history, last serviced about 6k miles ago.

Cleaned the MAF and the EGR valve this afternoon, MAF was pretty clean, and the EGR had a few mm of black gunky crap on the inside, but can't have been blocking more than 5% of the bore of the valve.

With regards to the OBD scanners, do i need an F super, or would any OBD scanner work? what about this one? http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_2848wt_1270
Crankshaft sensor maybe? but your only guessing till you get the codes read, best to buy the F-Super in the long run

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
180 from top half or bottom half of the tank?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here you go mate I have the same car doing the same thing, I have the F super and I am just about to go out to my car and read the codes, could be different problem but its been since the cold snap if I push it the light comes on sometimes I will post back in 5 mins.

Also had the dmf done about 1000s miles ago too

·
Registered
38 Posts
p1211 injection control pressure higher/lower than desierd engine running
p0251 injection fuel metering control a

These were the fault codes I got mate any ideas im gong to search them now

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
fuel filter is usually the first port of call

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
If the DMF has been changed them there would have been lots of swarf floating around the bell housing.
This could have got on the TDC sensor, remove it and give it a good clean, even if it was cleaned while the DMF was out it could have got covered in swarf again.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Tinkerton said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM-327-Rev-3-CAR-DIAGNOSTIC-CODE-READER-SCANNER-OBD2-CAN-/200660130864?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2eb8469c30#ht_2848wt_1270[/url]
I bought one of the generic ELM diagnostic scanners the same as that and it could't read the codes. Honestly for £22.50 you'll be cutting right to chase with the F-Super, alternatively where abouts are you located? If you are near you are welcome to use mine.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
elm wont work on early mk3 diesels thats why we got f super lol the crossover mark is 2004 maybe earlier on the odd tdci

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ordered an F super tonight. Happened again this morning, flashing glowplug light but no loss of power or other symptoms, pulled over a restarted and its been fine since.

Question: my car appears to be a facelift model, does this mean i could reprogramme the injectors with the F super tool? even though its a 2003?

Gary Price: whereabouts is the TDC sensor? must get a haynes manual ASAP...

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
read them if theyre all similar then yes if not then no

·
Super Moderator
30,044 Posts
Yeah 53 plate should be able to program the injectors, But there are exceptions in some of the earlier cars.

Only way to tell is try it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thread resurrection! lol.

Had no issues since cleaning the MAF and EGR, (once i remembered to re attach the turbo pipe - but thats another story!). Car has been running fine since, and now getting my usual average of 550/600 miles a tank.

A quick question about F Super, though, my Mondeo appears to be made in august 2003 (according to the Ford ETIS website), so from my understanding, (that and the fact its a facelift) I SHOULD be able to programme the injectors, however when i checked them with my F Super, they all came up 0000000000 etc. Any ideas? Is it that they've lost coding and need recoding? or is it that even though despite everything i can find regarding 2003 ford mondeo TDCI's, mine is an oddball and wont let me?

Also, for about 2 weeks now, when starting from cold my idle is very erratic, it appears to 'bounce' between about 600rpm and about 1000 rpm, could this be the aux belt and tensioner?

·
???
3,628 Posts
It's my understanding that cars built after 15th June 2003 should have the single box system so I would have thought that you should be able to read and write your codes.

I think the pre-June 2003 cars with the two box system have their separate Injector Control Unit mounted somewhere on the nearside of the engine compartment. Take a look and see if you can see it.

Normally when owners of pre-June 2003 cars have attempted to read the codes with F-Super they get a mixture of all zeros and other numbers, but the data doesn't look like the hex data that you see in the injector codes.

If you can't find a separate ICU then I would suggest that you read the codes on your injectors and attempt to write them to the ECU then see if you can read them back.

http://www.fordwiki...._Injector_Types
http://www.fordwiki....p?title=F_Super

Peter

·
???
3,628 Posts
The engine has to be running in order to read the injectors. You should find that the engine will stop when you read them. Everyone finds this a bit alarming but it doesn't cause any problems.

Peter

·
Megger
232 Posts
mine been doing the same for a few weeks now, drive it steady and all is fine, come to a hill and need a bit more power then glow plug light,(more so in 5th).
Sometimes it will cut out but not all that often, starts ok from cold or hot and just a little smoke, no more then ever, lumpy tick over.
So far i have cleaned MAF, EGR valve, Fuel filter and cam shaft sensor, bought a FSuper and read the injectors, 1 was different put that right (code on injector) no different.
The nest step was leak off test, strange results all over the place, from empty bottles to full bottles, so i put this to being the fault, this was done in a garage and was told only 1 injector was working ok, and after i looked into it 3 of the 4 injectors are the orginals (158k) and 1 was a different type, and the different one was the working one! so bought 4 injectors and getting these fitted wednesday so will come back with the out come for you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts