Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all

After a full day of car viewing, I am now a quivering wreck with a large scotch in hand. :whistling:

Can someone in the know please tell me in plain english the differences between a 52, 53 and 04 plate Mondy 2.0TDCI 130 LX, and are there any benefits in a Zetec S??? I am sick of being drowned in verbal diareahea from slimey salesman.

Thanks in advance :L

·
Yo
3,632 Posts
I think the 53 onwards will hae a slightly different front grille, maybe a couple of other little things when they facelifted it, but it is very slight. 04 is the same I thought, but I dunno for sure.

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
It looks nicer. From facelifted cars onwards the difference between the LX and standard Zetec are all round electrics, colour coded handles, front fogs, 16" Alloys and a few other bits and pieces. I think the facelifted cars (03.5) also have a different, sportier suspension setup. The Zetec-S has bigger alloys, bodykit and generally looks a lot sportier.

If you are looking at pre-facelifted cars, the LX did have all round electrics, but didnt have Trip Computer or cruise (facelifted LX's gained these, but lost the electrics).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whopty woo :yawn:

if thats it I think i am making the right decision, I'm tending towards this one

2002 52 Reg FORD MONDEO TDCI 130 B.H.P. LX 5DR
47,000 miles, Metallic Oyster Gold. One owner, Full service history, Air-Conditioning, R.D.S. Radio CD Player, Electric windows, Electric mirrors, Remote locking alarm immobiliser, Heated front windscreen, Rear head rests, ABS, Twin front airbags, Side Air Bags. Outstanding car, Drives wonderfull, Average 48 M.P.G
Its a grand cheaper than most others (53's) with a simialr clock reading, they also have computers, but for £1000 more, cant seem to be able to justify it.

Any other advice greatly received, before i part with my hard earned cash.

·
MEG Sergeant
1,156 Posts
No cruise on the 52 LX's - personally I'd not buy a car with no cruise so that would swing the decision in favour of the 53 plate ones for me.s

·
Registered
174 Posts
There are basically three facelifts on the mk3's

x - 52 approx phase 1, 52 - 54 approx phase 2, 54 onwards phase 3.

these are only rough regs but there are three facelifts.

The easist way to tell is the following :

phase 1 - on the inside the heat vents controls are 'manual rotary switches' except on higher spec models. on the outside the rear tail lights only have clear reversing lens.

phase 2 - on the inside the heat vent controls have gone digital across the models. on the outside the indicators are now clear as well on the tail light assmbly.

phase 3. chrome bits stuck on outside in various place and the tail light clusters have gone 'mercedes style' along with reflectors in rear bumper.

The only real bonus with the zetec 's' is that it comes with the body kit and bigger alloys. The rest of the car is pretty much the same as the zetec.

If you can find a good untampered one i would go for a phase 2 zetec s tdci. But be wary if it has been messed with. The tdci is easly tunable and gets very impressive gains, but i would personally not touch one as it has put alot of strain of engine, clutch, gearbox etc that might cost you dearly in the future.

oh and you cant get the zetec s in phase 3. they done away with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts