Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed my glow plugs 2 of them where screwed, so changed all 4 of them and it makes one hell of a difference! It's more responsive and seems to idle better :L

anywho I have an induction kit from an older car, and i want to fit it to my mondeo, problem is my MAF sensor is plastic and they only do ones for the metal MAF sensor, so I was wondering whether anyone knew the plastic maf sensor diamitor. it would be a lot of help so i can sort myself an induction kit.

Thanks
 

·
Man in a Jag
Joined
·
15,051 Posts
Changing the glow plugs will make the car start better, but wont really help with the running of the car as they are only used to warm the cylinders before starting. That is unless yours were really bad and it was taking the car longer to warm up - but at normal temp it wont make any difference.
 

·
MEG Corporal
Joined
·
726 Posts
Not sure about the glow being active all the time, my mate car is a Jap spec Mazda Bong and those plugs stay on 10 minutes to ensure the engine is burning correctly before turning off. This also kills the glow plugs within a year :headshake:

I do think that new glow plugs could make it run better though. Even after it has done its job and turned off the heater element it retains heat and absorbs heat from the previous charge. It then acts as a pre heater to the new charge of air to make it ready for the injection. If the old ones are choked up this can act as an insulator and reduce the effectiveness.
 

·
Man in a Jag
Joined
·
15,051 Posts
Its a MK2 TD. The Glow Plugs dont stay on at all but as said will help the starting and running when cold. My previous TD did start and even idle better when first started when I had new glow plugs put on, but once the engine had warmed up there was no difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would say come try for your self, but looks like my cam belt has snapped so i'm pissed cos its gonna cost to much to fix it, so those glow plugs aren't making any difference!

it did make a lot of difference (believe me or not) I don't get any lag anymore and i use to get a a big cloud off smoke and smoke no more!
 

·
MEG Corporal
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
don't the glow plugs stay on, on the MK1+2, for about 10 seconds after starting?
 

·
TDDI Buff
Joined
·
37,060 Posts
they stay on for about 10 seconds give or take after the glow plug light goes out, if you wait for the click thats when they go off.
 

·
MEG Corporal
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
I could have the ignition left on for 10+ seconds then start the car and I'll still notice the interior lights dimmer/fans slower/wipers slower untill approx 10 seconds then the revs will jump up to proper idle. It's like I've go a big draw on the alternator. Enging hot or cold it's the same. Only difference is it's not as bad hot. the belt will slip if i rev it when it's in the first 10 seconds cold running
 

·
MEG Corporal
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
ash667 said:
cam belt has snapped
How were you driving it when it snapped?
 

·
Man in a Jag
Joined
·
15,051 Posts
ash667 said:
it did make a lot of difference (believe me or not) I don't get any lag anymore and i use to get a a big cloud off smoke and smoke no more!
I dont doubt your car was better - but what is doubtful is the glow plugs are what has made the difference, unless like I said the previous ones were totally dead or has been suggested weren't insulated as well as the new ones (i.e. letting in cold air or something).

Its all irrelevant now anyway but was there any difference after a journey when the car had warmed up when compared to how it was before in the same circumstances? Same when restarting when the engine was warm?

As I said - the Glow Plugs are there to aid cold starting on the MK1 and MK2 - and as has been said they stay on for a few seconds after the light has gone out on the dash (you can hear a click from the battery side of the car when they click off). On more recent Diesels the Glow Plugs are only really needed for extreme cold starting as the engines are more thermodynamically efficient.
 

·
MEG Corporal
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
so barely over idle speed...may not be all that much damage, hopefuly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Can i ask what glow plugs are and would this help my car run better? aslo i asked if i had a cam belt and was told no i have a chain and as long as i keep my oil nice and clean i'll never have no porblems with it....

Sorry to ask all the questions guys....
 

·
MEG Corporal
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
glowplugs warm the engine up to help it start. when you turn on the ignition just before starting it you should see a little yellow loopey coil light on the dash come on for approx 5 seconds

it's a chain. keep the oil healthy and you shouldn't have a problem. :D
 

·
Man in a Jag
Joined
·
15,051 Posts
jujie said:
Can i ask what glow plugs are and would this help my car run better? aslo i asked if i had a cam belt and was told no i have a chain and as long as i keep my oil nice and clean i'll never have no porblems with it....

Sorry to ask all the questions guys....
They wont help your car run any better as far as I know. The glow plugs are there to aid starting when the engine is cold by warming up the cylinder. Diesels work differently to petrols because in a petrol engine, a spark is generated on every cycle to ignite the air and fuel mixture. On a Diesel engine, the air is compressed at much higher pressure, which generates heat. The fuel is injected into the chamber which reacts with the heat to cause the combusion.

Heres a guide to how it works - http://auto.howstuffworks.com/diesel.htm

So anyway, because the glow plugs are only there to aid the initial combustion (i.e. warm up the chamber before the first explosion) once the car is up and running and warmed up, they wont make any difference because they arent being used. In more modern Diesel Engines the glow plugs are only really required in extreme cold temperatures (about -15°C and below) as the engines are more thermodynamic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DavePage said:
ash667 said:
it did make a lot of difference (believe me or not) I don't get any lag anymore and i use to get a a big cloud off smoke and smoke no more!
I dont doubt your car was better - but what is doubtful is the glow plugs are what has made the difference, unless like I said the previous ones were totally dead or has been suggested weren't insulated as well as the new ones (i.e. letting in cold air or something).

Its all irrelevant now anyway but was there any difference after a journey when the car had warmed up when compared to how it was before in the same circumstances? Same when restarting when the engine was warm?

As I said - the Glow Plugs are there to aid cold starting on the MK1 and MK2 - and as has been said they stay on for a few seconds after the light has gone out on the dash (you can hear a click from the battery side of the car when they click off). On more recent Diesels the Glow Plugs are only really needed for extreme cold starting as the engines are more thermodynamically efficient.
Basicly i brought the car cos my gf lives a 1/2 away (doing 70mph all the way,) i can see y ppl are a bit skeptical (right word?) but basicly i always got a large amount of smoke when starting the car (unburnt diesel) hot or cold, when i replaced it that went, and on particular strips on the dual carrigage way where i had to slow down and acclerrate (eg round abouts) i got a lot of lag and smoke even when warm.

The owner before never really looked after the car and i had never seen a glow plug covered in so much black crap but it made a difference to me, but guess you really had to be there to see the difference
 

·
MEG Corporal
Joined
·
726 Posts
TdciDick said:
I do think that new glow plugs could make it run better though. Even after it has done its job and turned off the heater element it retains heat and absorbs heat from the previous charge. It then acts as a pre heater to the new charge of air to make it ready for the injection. If the old ones are choked up this can act as an insulator and reduce the effectiveness.
As I said before :whistling:

There is a little more to the glow plugs than just warming the cylinders, they provide a hot spot that will be hotter than the cylinder or head.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top