Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There.. Don't know if anyone else has experienced this but I've been buying the cheapest fuel i could fine ie Morrison's unleaded and my Mondeo mk2 1.8 kept stuttering, missing and struggling to accelerate. I checked all the usual reasons but I had to fuel up at a Sainsbury's as i was passing and low and noticed all the symptoms stopped. To check this i again filled with Sainsbury's and it drives like a different car? Gonna try and use BP or Shell in future.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I found this to be with Asda, Morrisons and Sainsbury's personally, And I get less MPG. So I Normally stick with BP or Shell,

I was once told, never to use/buy super market fuel as it's all the 'Regs' of the fuel.

·
Super Moderator
29,787 Posts
My local Morrisons have had misfuellings several times, I wont go near them.

I filled up at Tesco and the engine started knocking a bit. It comes and goes now though, Even though
i normally use Sainsbury's fuel.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
i usually put asda's finest in. i don't think they dare sell poor quality fuel in the town i fill up in, as the forecourt would probably get burnt down to ashes by the locals.
Corby.

my mk2 seems to run ok on it, i occasionally bung a bit of redex in it, i have a heavy foot but still return at least 35mpg pottering about to work/shopping etc, 40+ mpg easily on a run.

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,104 Posts
I will just add this post, so the thread appears in 'my content'.
I love a good supermarket fuel thread hahahahahahaha hahahaha

·
Super Moderator
19,696 Posts
my mota has been running fine on sainsbury's fuel since about 4 months after i got it way back in 2005 ( that 4 month period between purchase & loyalty to one petrol station only it was run on all local stations products to find the best for it etc )

ASDA fuel worked OK but the engine always smelt HOT after use when you walked past the front of the car etc but maybe thats just me being too picky, got normal enough MPG from it & the MPG return from BP & shell was not anywhere near as good as the supermarkets ( but then again i was not driving gently either i suppose
).

There has been a couple of other garage top-ups in last few years but thats been low amounts ( £5-£10 only just to get me to the regular station as i was running on hope as the fuel was that low & had been for a while - apart from once when ibrimmed the tank from the 1/4 mark as i was over 380 miles away from home @ the time so a quick splash would not be enough
) when i have been running locally the few emergency splash & dash's have been from a SHELL garage ( not used in the 1st round of testing fuels as it was not one i passed often, i just got caught out on my return from the coast so dropped in to keep me mobile ) & i had no end of stalling & other such oddness when stopping for junctions & such from the car till it was topped up with its normal juice again - was not a one off either as i had exactly the same troubles a good 6 - 8 months later when i forgot & used the very same SHELL garage again on another coast run where i had run lower than expected by taking the scenic route home - engine kept stalling when i dipped the clutch afterwards when stopping until i filled up again @ the normal supermarket station.

So going to the big boys does not always mean your getting the good stuff, both times my mota has run like shite its been on shells finest offerings ( from one particular station i might add, probably will run fine on a good shell garage juice as it did in testing, just lacking the MPG to make the extra cost worthwhile ) but the car runs happy as owt with 28+mpg round town & upto 47mpg on a good motorway jaunt on supermarket jungle juice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many thanks for your replies.. I cant believe the differences we all get here and there. At least in my case it has stopped me searching for that dreaded missing etc. the difference in acceleration is really noticeable.

·
got enough names thanks
1,717 Posts
I recently put in some BP Ultimate( Ethanol free) for the first time ever as I don't want any ethanol in my petrol and at first I couldn't believe how fast my car was drinking the stuff! Swore then and there..never to use it again (esp.at £1.45/litre) but lo and behold after about 1/8 of a tank the fuel gauge stopped dropping so quickly and I have to say its now dropping slower than I've ever seen it. At fill up I noted how much I added and mileage so gonna do a rough calculation to begin with but forgot to zero the trip computer..first time I have really noted down that stuff and to be accurate I know would have to do brim to brim and along the same route at the same time..many times over etc etc but can't be arsed with that..just good enough to satisfy me.
Anyway probably should have done ECU reset after filling as it would have adapted its ignition timing quicker. Slightly smoother on idle aswell

Got to agree with whats said above .....its seems what ever is best for your car is the key. but am gonna avoid the ethanol stuff...bad for power and mpg and corrodes like Alien pooh pooh.

Btw Contacted alot of the fuel suppliers in UK a couple of weeks ago so I know who adds the ethanol and who doesn't...forgot Asda tho' don't know about their fuel....so if anybody wants to know..just drop me a line.

·
13,104 Posts
I recently put in some BP Ultimate( Ethanol free) for the first time ever as I don't want any ethanol in my petrol and at first I couldn't believe how fast my car was drinking the stuff! Swore then and there..never to use it again (esp.at £1.45/litre) but lo and behold after about 1/8 of a tank the fuel gauge stopped dropping so quickly and I have to say its now dropping slower than I've ever seen it. At fill up I noted how much I added and mileage so gonna do a rough calculation to begin with but forgot to zero the trip computer..first time I have really noted down that stuff and to be accurate I know would have to do brim to brim and along the same route at the same time..many times over etc etc but can't be arsed with that..just good enough to satisfy me.
Anyway probably should have done ECU reset after filling as it would have adapted its ignition timing quicker. Slightly smoother on idle aswell

Got to agree with whats said above .....its seems what ever is best for your car is the key. but am gonna avoid the ethanol stuff...bad for power and mpg and corrodes like Alien pooh pooh.

Btw Contacted alot of the fuel suppliers in UK a couple of weeks ago so I know who adds the ethanol and who doesn't...forgot Asda tho' don't know about their fuel....so if anybody wants to know..just drop me a line.
As for asda, its not as simple as that (nor for any supermarket). Different supermarkets in different regions sell different fuel. Your local Asda may be selling Shell fuel, while mine (in a different refinery region) may be selling Esso fuel.

My local tescos all sell Esso, while I know they sell a different refiners brand elsewhere in the country.

I'm sorry but I just had to add my comment (I do try to avoid fuel threads.... Honest lol) as you mentioned 'asda's fuel' which of course there is no such thing as they don't refine fuel (nor do any of the other supermarkets) but simply sell a major brand under their name.

·
Super Moderator
29,787 Posts
But isnt shell and esso one company? Used to have shell fuel cards and we could fill up at esso
stations also.

·
13,104 Posts
Shell is Dutch (Royal Dutch shell) and Esso is American (Standard Oil, used to be simply be called S.O.)

At the end of the day it's the refinery that the fuel comes from that counts, and the additive mix that the tanker driver adds to the tanker before leaving the refinery.
I haven't driven fuel tankers for some time now, but Scatty Alien over on STdriveRS still drives them and knows a lot about who is selling who's fuel on their forecourts or supermarkets.

My car runs better on Esso fuel than BP fuel. The fuel will have come from the same refinery in avonmouth but its the additives that make the difference. I don't care if I buy Esso from an Esso forecourt or a supermarket as its still the same stuff basically, with the difference being the name above the entrance and on the receipt lol.

Thread drift.
Talking of brand name changes, I still remember that Asda is short for associated dairies lol.

·
got enough names thanks
1,717 Posts
Raynkar.....When Asda Morrisons Tescos' etc are mentioned I assumed everyone understood that it refers to 'the place of purchase' not the source of the distillates ......

·
got enough names thanks
1,717 Posts
So for any members looking to buy ethanol free petrol:

Shell reply said ...........................................both regular and Vmax ......up to 5% ethanol
BP reply.......................................................only Ultimate is ethanol free
Texaco........................................................superunleaded is ethanol free
Esso............................................................regular..up to 5% ethanol ..super is ethanol free except in c Scotland, SW England and Teeside where it also is up to 5% ethanol
Total............................................................ethanol free both regular and super
Sainsbury's..................................................both regular and super...up to 5% ethanol
Morrisons.....................................................as Sainsbury's
Tesco...........................................................regular ..up to 5% ethanol....99momemtum is 5% ethanol and 3% methanol
Asda.............................................................comes from the Asda refinery in Grangemouth (aka city of Atlantis)

Murco.......................................................no reply yet but read their MSDS and saw no mention of it...not
conclusive tho' wait 4 their reply

These are the answers I received and of course these findings may well be on paper only if the fuel distribution network works on a 'mix'n'match' basis..thats not to say some Branded fuels are not 'unadulterated' ....ie. perhaps BP (just an example) ensures that only Ultimate goes into BP Ultimate storage tanks on the forecourt? I dunno

·
13,104 Posts
Raynkar.....When Asda Morrisons Tescos' etc are mentioned I assumed everyone understood that it refers to 'the place of purchase' not the source of the distillates ......
Nooooooooooooooo never assume that

There are many folks who really believe that supermarkets 'make' their own fuel.

Some classic lines from threads are: they must do, as I have seen tankers with Morrisons on the side, and my all time favourite: supermarkets sell cheap petrol 'from abroad' lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
We dont put supermarket fuel in our kuga any more and we started using esso supreme+ and found we have better mileage etc.....
Plus the additives keep the engine clean.....

·
Super Moderator
29,787 Posts
Rare to find a modern petrol engine thats dirty, no matter what fuel is used.

Strip any petrol down with 130k on the clock and it will still look in better

condition than a late 70's carb engine with 6000 miles on the clock.

·
ME
5,869 Posts
Any change in ignition timing is instantaneous, you don't need to reset the ecu. If the fuel is poor or 95RON as opposed to 98RON or higher, you are more likely to keep hitting the knock control. If the fuel is better or higher octane, it's less likely to detect any knock and won't have to retard the spark.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My 2p worth.

I've had 2 transits, (diesel), and both ran far better on Morrison's than other fuels that were a "had to" purchased because I was running low. With Morrison's I was getting around 45 MPG, with others it dropped to around 38.

With my bikes -

Triumph Sprint 900 - Loved Asda petrol and gave me 48 MPG, other fuels returned around 40 to 43.

Kawasaki GP 1000RX - Loved Morrisions, a constant 32 MPG whereas other fuels returned about 22. Huge difference I know but I did rag that bike.

The Audi convertible loved Asda, around 39 MPG, other fuels were around the 35 mark.

BMW 7 Series - Just didn't care! 27 MPG regardless of what I used.

The thing about ethanol is if you have ANY tank repair, (I lined my bikes fuel tanks), it just ate into the liner after a couple of years.

I'm not convinced that Esso or Shell with their "super fuels" do any good really. ALL my vehicles ran like a bag of spanners on Shell Optimum (?? Not sure if that's the right one as I only used it once and then it was a mistake as I picked up the wrong nozzle), and I had to rev the guts out the Audi to get anywhere.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
IMO diesels are more likely to benefit from a premium fuel than petrol cars are assuming the petrol car doesn't need any specific octane rating.

Petrol is a natural solvent so you should generally have a clean engine, whereas all kinds of crud and fungus can grow in diesel which can cause problems down the line. You wouldn't notice any difference between driving with a tank of Tesco Diesel and a tank of Shell V-Power, but the additives in V-Power should improve the longevity of fuel related components and maybe stop the formation of excessive deposits in an otherwise healthily running engine.

One of my friends from university is a chemist at BP and she said there are large amounts of labs dedicated to the development and testing of the agents added to fuel, which they invest in massively. Whether the additional cost is worth it over adding Millers at every fill up I don't know though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts