Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Megger
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

Had to take my 1997 st24 for the dreaded MOT the other day went ok other that it failing on what has bean put down as: Nearside rear handbrake lever arm on caliper has restricted free movment :( i no what he's talking about just not sure on how this is happening. Anyone ever heard of or had this problem? Any advice would be great :thankyousign:

·
MEG Corporal
868 Posts
What he means is it's not moving freely when operated,as in it may not be returning back to to the rest point or its not working properly.
Either way i would say cable may need changing or the caliper arm needs freeing or the caliper needs stripping and cleaning.

Failing that if that fails then another will be required.

·
Megger
57 Posts
Mondeo handbrakes are crap,they are notorious for sticking,jamming etc.Had mine checked 3 times at my local main dealer,once was a recall for some mods doing.Still didn't work even after they fitted a new cable at £86.86 !!! Never again.Never used my handbrake for about 8 months,it kept sticking on and heating up the rear offside wheel,just left it in 2nd gear. Anyway,I had it serviced at a mate's garage and he cured it in one day.Said he used loads of WD40 and repeatedly moved the actuator back and forth.
Finished it off with some grease.Works great.
All three mondeos I have owned had the same problems with the handbrake.Moral,avoid main dealers,find a good local garage,because the main dealers,who are supposed to know what they are doing,DON'T! They couldn't give a damn.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts