Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Big Megger
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys
I have a focus TDDi at the moment and am thinking about moving to a Mondeo TDDi or TD estate for 3 reasons...

1) I need cruise control, which isnt' available on Foci...i do a lot of motorway miles and CC would be handy for SPECS cameras too.

2) I could do with more luggage area

3) I just fancy a change really, after 2 years of Focus ownership (although its been a bloody brilliant car)

I was looking at that Mk2 TD or Mk3 TDDi estates. Only TDDi Mk3s because of the obvious injector problems that Ford TDCi's seem to have ;)
The only models that have Cruise Control also seem to be the Ghia X models and finding a TDDi Ghia X estate or TD Ghia X mk2 is a little tricky.

Am i right in thinking that we didn't get the TDDi 90hp engines in the UK?
What kind of fuel economy should i expect from a Mk2 or Mk3 Mondeo estate? i am used to 55mpg , even with 215/50/R16 tyres on the Focus so anything majorly less is a bummer

I have heard that the MK2s have major turbo lag...is this true?

What other kind of problems do people encounter wtih them?
Thats all the questions for now folks...more to come later if anyones kind enough to put forward some ideas

Ta one and all :)

Rory

·
MEG Corporal
1,048 Posts
With the MK2 td engine in standard form there is major turbo lag and you don't get CC with mk2 td's. Mind you, when crusing on the motorway there's no lag when flooring it to overtake something. It only suffers majorly when pulling away and at low revs (sub 2300ish) On the motorway you should get a decent 45+ mpg with both cars.

And, why not buy a decent used car warranty that covers fuel systems including common rail stuff then you're sorted and can get a TDCi.

·
Big Megger
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you're quite right...no CC on MK2 TD's...i'm sure i'd seen one on ebay with it but can't find the listing now. I might have got it mixed up with the remote stereo control.

so..mk3 tddi it is now. I really don't want to be buying warranties with cars...they're £600+ per year and i'm hoping not to spend more than £4k on a car.

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
RoryTDDI said:
I have heard that the MK2s have major turbo lag...is this true?
In fact technically speaking... the turbo lag isn't really noticeable due to the small turbocharger unit...

The real pain is the low treshold, which means no real response or whatsoever under 1750rpm (approx...)

Otherwise it runs very nice.

Never tried the Mk3 or any of the TDDi/TDCi, but suspect most of them (apart form some which runs VGT) will suffer from this, just how much is the matter.

Just my 0.02p ;)

Phil

·
Glen
4,110 Posts
lag isn't too bad on mine, but there are 2 types of turbo vane, fixed and variable - fixed = lag variable = less lag!!!

but to be fair mine has a fixed vane turbo and the lag is there but the car performs ok to about 1800 rpm then knocks your head off aftr that!!!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
RoryTDDI said:
so..mk3 tddi it is now. I really don't want to be buying warranties with cars...they're £600+ per year and i'm hoping not to spend more than £4k on a car.
You've been shopping in the wrong places then :p My warranty was with Warranty Direct with full Gold level cover (inc wear and tear items) and weighed in at under half that amount. Bit of a waste of money though as my TDCI has been faultless (18 months of ownership and just ticked over 61k miles) :D

Chris

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
ScoobyChris said:
ms) and weighed in at under half that amount. Bit of a waste of money though as my TDCI has been faultless (18 months of ownership and just ticked over 61k miles) :D
Well... better safe than sorry... my Mk2 TD has 3 monthes warranty.. and i am going to ring up the warranty hotline in a minute... :blush:

Phil

·
Big Megger
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Mk2 TD, haven't done any actual calculation, but definitely better than 40mpg, with mixed city and motorway crusing.

Offical figure is 46mpg, but with the aga and mileage i usually use a more optimistic figure of 40mpg. So a guessed figure of 43-44mpg i reckon...

Although if there is a choice... i would suggest a Mk3 if possible, due to the age maintainence and safety issues... and nowadays it's harder to find any descend Mk2 TD (even mine is a bit dodgy and need to be sorted out), which a Mk3 will be a more reasonable choice if budget allows.

Hope it helps

Phil

·
Big Megger
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
siacelestar said:
Offical figure is 46mpg, but with the aga and mileage i usually use a more optimistic figure of 40mpg. So a guessed figure of 43-44mpg i reckon...
cheers Phil...43 mpg is a bit 'ouch' for me. I struggle to do less than 45 in the Focus.

Waiting for some (hopefully) better news from the mk3 guys ;)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
My car has a hard life (my commute consists of lots of fast A and B roads) and returns 40mpg consistently (well it only made 34mpg on track :} ) but with a bit less right foot and a bit more sympathy for posted speed limits, I've easily achieved over 50mpg :D

Worth noting that the facelifted TDCI (2003) gained a 6-speed box which may be beneficial to economy, but not sure what you'd get for 4k :D

Chris

·
Big Megger
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok...is it still exclusively the Ghia X that had the cruise control on the postfacelifts? The 6th gear does sound interesting...wonder what revs it would be ticking over at, @ 65mph? ...
Have you had any problems per sé with your TDCI 130? I have heard injector problems and the DMF's.

·
S-Edition Wagon, 240Ps 2nd one as 1st one had a br
324 Posts
Hi Rory,

Why not have a CC fitted to your current car? That's what I had done to my Mk2TD (and Mk1TD before, and V6 Granada, V6 Sierra, V6 Sierra hehehe addicted to cc).

Okay, it does not fix your issues 2 and 3 but its a fair bit less expensive and you get to keep driving the car you know is good.

I have a Mk2 TD and get slightly better then spec MPG after disconnecting the EGR valve, upping boost and fuel settings. Used to run just below spec MPG.

Oh, I drive on private roads mostly. (= I am not trying to get good MPG).

You are used to a Focus TDDI, don't buy a Mk2TD you will be disappointed with the lack of pull and the MPG it gets. Okay they can be improved slightly ... but...

Good luck,

David

·
Registered
23 Posts
RoryTDDI said:
ok...is it still exclusively the Ghia X that had the cruise control on the postfacelifts? The 6th gear does sound interesting...wonder what revs it would be ticking over at, @ 65mph? ...
Have you had any problems per sé with your TDCI 130? I have heard injector problems and the DMF's.
The latest facelift models all have CC aprt from the special editions like the Silver and the Edge. My 115 is doing 1900 revs at 60 and the 6 gear cars will be doing about 1650 revs.
Fuel consumption is variable it depends upon what you are doing in it. It cruises on the motorway at 70 and returns 56mpg, if I do nothing but stop start cold engine work about town then I get 40 and if I ever get it warm the same sort of trips do about 46. Overall I tend to average about 47 mpg.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
RoryTDDI said:
As I mentioned, my TDCI is a 2002 that I picked up last year with 33k miles on. It's now just ticked over 61.5k miles and it's been faultless and one of the best cars I've owned. It's also been running a tuning box and K&N panel filter for the bulk of that mileage :D

Chris

·
Just me
19,673 Posts
I love my TDDi even if I have poor MPG, the smile I get when I put my foot down is worth it :}

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Ive had both MK2TD and current is a MK3 TDDi.

On my commute to and from work, which includes a bit of town driving and stop start depending on what time of day I used to get the following:-

MK2TD - early 40's (generally around 42MPG) - that was sticking between 60 and 65 on the motorway when I could. When I first got the car I was getting late 30's but a bit of injector cleaner, blocking the EGR and cleaning the intercooler seemed to increase it.

MK3TDDi - mid to late 40's (highest I got is 52). Thats at slightly higher speeds between 65 and 70 (as the car feels more comfy at slightly higher speed than the TD). I also tend to use the Climate Control most of the time, and getting up to driving speeds is a lot quicker (which probably uses a bit more fuel).

As far as Cruise Control goes, it was fitted as standard on the Facelift Cars along with the trip computer. You wont get a Facelift TDDi as they were phased out in the UK towards the end of 2002. Pre-facelift it is only the Ghia X that has it - kindof whish I had it on mine over the past few months because of back issues ive been having.

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Robbins said:
Rory, I think you are being a bit small minded about the issues with TDCi's. If you can afford one then I would make it a buying point over a car with a TDDi engine.
Depends on how new you can afford. I personally would not have one unless it was a EuroIV, which are the later cars becuase a lot of the issues will have been ironed out. When I got my TDDi the reason I got that over a TDCi was because I didnt feel confident enought about the TDCi - chances are I would have got a good one but I would have worried too much over it so got a higher spec TDDi for the money.

Just to add though - you do see a lot of issues with the injection systems on TDCi's - but thats only because people will talk about it when things go wrong. Its probably a very small percentage that have problems - but I wasn't willing to take that risk so I can understand someone being hesitatnt.

Nothing wrong with the TDDi. They are very solid, very powerful engines and give very good economy for the size of car (in my experience anyway). Stick a tuning box on them and they are even better (and mine gives better economy around town now too which is the real reason I got it - and it was cheap :) )

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.