Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Megger
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What ho one and all,

Generally, I average, according to the dashboard display, around 51/52 mpg.

Recently fitted four new budget tyres (last ones were also budget) and the specs suggest that the mpg for these is C.

Filled the tank, regular driving and the display says 45/46 mpg. Can the tyres be making so much difference?

What constitutes the mpg rating of the tyres? How does one tyre apparently give great mpg while another is poor?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Lol, if mine ever goes above 20, im not driving it right :ROFLMAO:

This my long term MPG, i rarely reset it and usually just have outside temp displayed as worrying about MPG in a V6 with the way i drive it is pointless ha ha

Speedometer Car Tachometer Gauge Automotive design

·
Registered
Mondeo MK5 Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
711 Posts
The tyres can make a big difference when I first got my mk3 it had budget tyres on it and I thought the mpg was bad for a diesel. Put Goodyears on it and the mpg went up quite a bit. The mk3 was my only experience with budget tyres so probably a bit of a limited data sample

·
Registered
2017 Mondeo ST Line X hatchback 2.0 TDCi 180.
800 Posts
yes tyres are probably the one thing that makes the BIGGEST difference, like for like on any given car. same driver, same road, same speed, same tyre pressures, and different tyres can make a massive difference. 6mpg seems like a lot BUTif you have come from some 'eco' tyre to el cheapo ditchfinder (linglong or Stomil were a couple that i had particularly bad experiences with) then they can make a huge difference. and the problem is even budget tyres are expensive, so yu are kind of stuck with them until theyre worn out or you change car/wheel. it is one reason why i run whatever is on the car when i buy it and if i find them awful, change to a known brand when the time comes. if the ones on the car work on the car, and theyre a better price than what i would usually buy, then i get more of the same.

·
Megger
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Filled to the brim a few days ago, zeroed the mpg and now showing around 46.5mpg; still way off my normal 50/52 figure.

So thinking about what have I done? No binding brakes and cannot imagine poor mpg tyres can be doing this, but......

Owing to the EGR pipe vibrating loose from the EGR valve, I had exhaust gas coming into the cabin. Unable to fix it, I moved the blanking plate (been blanked for years) from the EGR valve end of the pipe to the EGR cooler exit.

Hard to believe that whatever pressure was previously in the pipe, now, not being there, can cause an increase in the mpg. Additionally, since moving the blanking plate, there has been a slight increase in the idle rpm, from around 750 rmpm to around 900.

My question; given that the EGR is blanked, could the pressure in the pipe, that could not go anywhere, be beneficial to the mpg and rpm?

I know the simple solution is to replace the plate but the pipe is not fixed onto the flange, so that would give gas in the cabin again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts