Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya All
Ive just bought a Mondeo Estate and its holding back mostly when feathering the peddle in 2nd and 3rd gear...ive only had it 2 weeks on monday and have taken it to ford in Mansfield and had oil and new filter put on.... just rebooked it in to have a fuel filter fitted (just in case that has something to do with the missing)
Do any of you know why this could be happening? the car does have alot of miles on it (and i mean alot) Has anyone had this with there car? Ford said i could book it in with them for a few hours and they would look it over they also added that it would cost around 70 quid just to look :( If anyone could give me some ideas... pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Thanx for reading

·
MEG Corporal
894 Posts
Sounds like a fuel filter is the first place to start. Had this happen many times over the years in trucks, tractors, buses and cars and 90% of the time its been a diesel filter overdue for a change or if not a fuel blockage somewhere

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
What engine is in the car? I take it that its either a TDDi or TDCi - Ford cant really tell that much on Diagnostics on the Previous 1.8TD as its not really electronically controlled.

As Yobbo said, Fuel Filter is worth doing if its not been done in a while. Another thing you could try when you get the car back is an ECU Reset (there is a how to in the Workshop - or click Here ) This will remove the settings the car has learn and will force it to re-learn according to its current settings (cars loosen up over time).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hiya
Its a 2.0 tddi 2001 mk3 ive only owned it 2 weeks on monday, if i floor it its fine no holding back, i thought maybe thats because the diesel is being pushed through ( i have no idea really) so thought a good start was having the oil and filter replaced and now having the fuel filter done. The cars done 141,000 with full service history, its just this jerking thats getting on me nerves. If the replacing of the fuel filter doesnt work i'll do what you say and have the ecu reset, but me being :stupid: i'll let ford do it, thats if they do that kind of thing.
Thanx for ya ideas me duck :L

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chirs would the battery be that blob in the corner with a red and black thingy on it.... :gayfight: ...only kidding i know what the battery is... is that all it takes to reset the ecu then? cos yeah i think i could do that.. still think its a good idea replacing the fuel filter too cos ya just never know......

·
MEG Corporal
1,048 Posts
make sure you know your radio code :L

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good point... i have no idea what it is... i do have all the books tho so i'll have a look in there.... if i cant find the code what do i do to get another one? i dont wanna bugger my cd player up.... life isnt worth living without blasting scissor sisters out.......... :whistling:

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
If thats what you're listening to then if you find the code for the radio, rip it up and throw it away before you disconnect the battery. You might enjoy the peace :)

The how to in the link (previous post of mine) tells you what to do on the ECU Reset. Follow that guide and you cant go far wrong.

·
MEG Corporal
1,048 Posts
Yes, if it's scissor sisters you're playing then I'm not telling you how to get the code :tongue:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Erm you dont like the scissor sisters then...... shame on you......yeah ive had a look at the thread and think id be able to do that..... i'm gonna try the fuel filter first, to be honest i think with so high mileage it wants doing anyway.... if ive still got this holding back then will reset the ecu.....can anything go wrong doing this by the way?

·
MEG Corporal
1,048 Posts
yes, the radio blows up burning that cd :}

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How very dare you lol

If i was playing guns n roses would you be saying the same thing tho?

You know if the car i bought was a reps car ( i know this cos its got a full on hands free job fitted) how i'm understanding the ecu is it use to always being on the motorway doing 70+ and now ive got it and i'm just driving like a girl would that make the car jerk? i just thought about that one....bearing in mind :stupid: i think its possible maybe?

·
MEG Corporal
1,048 Posts
Good chance, car's not used to plodding about. People on here swear that an ECU reset is the best thing since sliced bread, lol.

I'm sure you'd think the same about my taste in music....I'd rather blast Classic fm than Beat106 but we wont go there :L

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:thankyousign: for that monkey cos thats a place i wouldnt have looked.... :D

I'm gonna have a fiddle around this morning to see what i can find.....ive even read the book that comes with the car, i didnt understand it but hey i did read it....

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
One thing that hasnt been mentioned is do you have the removal clips to get the Stereo out. I know on the Ford Stereo's I have had in the past the code hasnt been on the top of it (because that would make it easier for the thieves), but maybe the previous owner has written it on. Ford could get the code for you but they would charge a few quid - or there may be someone on here who could acquire the code for you :whistling:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lol dave loved the :whistling: on the end there....

Well ive been good i removed that big black cover on the engine and its thick and black under there, doesnt look like its been cleaned in years.... ive started cleaning things up... its really hard for me to explain myself cos i really dont know what i'm talking about ....

You know where you put the oil in the car... there are 4 like steel little pipe things near it and there covered in thick black stuff....does anyone know what they are and should they be clean? (trying to find anything that might be making the car jerk)

My hands look like ive been working on cars for years and until this morning i had long nails too :( but at lest i get stuck in...

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
The steel pipes are the fuel lines for each cylinder. Mine has some black stuff on them (not much), its probably just grease. If its very wet at the bottom of these pipes I would check if its leaking any Diesel, but its probably nothing to worry about. If you can be bothered, take a photo of it and post it here and we will see if it look the same as ours.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.