Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was a MK2 Cortina 1500GT, on a E in 1967 it was a dark blue,the only blue Ford i have ever owned,think i was about 19/20 at the time,so that made the car about 7 years old when i got it,and i thought the car was the bees knees,it could shift.

It came to me after my first car which was a 1963 Mini was wrote off outside my house,by a lorry,that decide to ram it and send it hurtling down the road and into a tree about 25 yards away,i was

·
54 Posts
Was a MK2 Cortina 1500GT, on a E in 1967 it was a dark blue,the only blue Ford i have ever owned,think i was about 19/20 at the time,so that made the car about 7 years old when i got it,and i thought the car was the bees knees,it could shift.

It came to me after my first car which was a 1963 Mini was wrote off outside my house,by a lorry,that decide to ram it and send it hurtling down the road and into a tree about 25 yards away,i was
I too had an E-reg Cortina GT 1500 but it wasn't my first car - that was a B-reg Ford Anglia (why no Anglia Forum on here?) 105E. My Cortina was bright yellow with a black stripe down the side. It used to go like s*** off a shovel when it was in form as a previous owner had fitted a Weber carb and a half-race cam which made a world of difference. Black bucket seats as well if I remember rightly.

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I too had an E-reg Cortina GT 1500 but it wasn't my first car - that was a B-reg Ford Anglia (why no Anglia Forum on here?) 105E. My Cortina was bright yellow with a black stripe down the side. It used to go like s*** off a shovel when it was in form as a previous owner had fitted a Weber carb and a half-race cam which made a world of difference. Black bucket seats as well if I remember rightly.
Small world eh.Nice touch was the GT badge on the rear quarter.

Did you progress onto the 1600 engined MK2.

I did i ended up getting a F plate 1968,1600E,and then onto a H plate 1970,1600E,always wanted a Savage V6 version but could never afford one or the Lotus for that matter.

·
54 Posts
Small world eh.Nice touch was the GT badge on the rear quarter.

Did you progress onto the 1600 engined MK2.

I did i ended up getting a F plate 1968,1600E,and then onto a H plate 1970,1600E,always wanted a Savage V6 version but could never afford one or the Lotus for that matter.

No, I went from the Cortina to a Triumph Spitfire and then MBG rubber bumper model - I had the wind in the hair bug. Nowadays, I don't have the hair but plenty of wind!!!

But it was interesting to see your mention of the Savage. A friend of mine had a bog standard Cortina GT but he worked in an advertising agency and got one of the artists to paint a 'V6' in black on the bootlid at the side of the Cortina badge!

I had more Fords later on - two Granadas being the last two until I bought my Mondeo recently.

Funny how I seem to keep coming back to Fords.

·
MEG Commander
6,006 Posts
C'mon one of you must have some pics of em

Steve

·
Little Megger
129 Posts
This was my 2nd Cortina Mk5
Well my first Ford was a Mk2 Mondeo....
I was so impressed I replaced it with a Mk3 Mondeo....
And then a Mk3 facelift Mondeo....
Then I bought a toy for the weekends three years ago, which finally hit the road this summer

·
MEG Commander
6,006 Posts

·
Little Megger
129 Posts
V nice
a rare 2 door as well, any more pics? Did you see the 2 door with the 2.9 V6 fitted in last months Classic Ford, that was tasty too.
Always had a soft spot for the MK4s & 5s but nothing decent seems to come up for sale round here.
Have you seen this one on Ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200517133933&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Steve
Yes I saw the magazine article, I've even seen the car in the flesh - the owner has just sold it though

It started life the same spec as mine (a 1.6 auto motability car of which under 500 were made). Mine is still standard spec but I've just got a 205 block EFi pinto to put into it over the next couple of months - also got a PAS rack to fit at the same time.

·
30 Posts
My first Ford, and first car was a 1971 Cortina Mk2 1600 deluxe in light blue - UBA52J. My dad bought it as a near-wreak for £50 from the rear yard of a local shop (yes - it was a rusty wreak at just eight years old!) and we did it up in the time-honoured tradition (of the 1970s) with plastic padding, that stick-on epoxy fibre-glass matting and some wood. We then sprayed the "repaired" areas a matching light blue. Mechanically it was very good and gave me no trouble despite my youthful neglect.

At the time I lived down south and commuted some weekends to Oldham. On one weekend, I raced my Cortina against a Mercedes on the M1, and pulled over at the Blue Boar services in Northampton to investigate a funny smell. When I opened the bonnet everything was covered in oil!. I promptly joined the RAC and got a lift to Oldham. When we stripped down the engine (you could have the head off in 30 minutes and no funny single-use bolts) , I found that I had holed a piston and went to a local shop in Oldham called JayDee engine components on Huddersfield road to see what could be done. He had a set of standard pistons on the shelf and sold me one for £15 - he even changed the head on to the connecting rod for me. What's the chances of that? I remember thinking. The site of this shop is now a grass verge.

The Cortina gave good service for quite a while, but I eventually sold it and got a Rover 3500 P6 at a car auction for £140. With a front end heavy as a battleship and no power steering, and a tendancy to overheat at the drop of a hat I thought later that it was probably not a good change. That met it's end when a drunk taxi driver smashed into it outside my house. I remember seeing his sweaty face looking out of his shattered Vauxhall Viva as he tried in vain to start it - it didn't and the police took him away. My Rover had a bent De Dion tube and suspension mountings - and didn't make it.

If anyone still has UBA52J sitting about somewhere I'd be pleased to know - and if you want to know who repaired a badly rusted sill with a wooden fence post, some newspaper and fibreglass matting - it was me in 1979!

Cheers.

·
Big Megger
393 Posts
I passed my driving test in a mk2 1600 super, and it was then my first car when i inherited it not long after.

·
Dirty old Megger
1,417 Posts
My first Ford, and also the first car I owned myself was a 1997 Galaxy 2.3 automatic.
Sharing a lot of underpinnings with VW Sharan and Seat Alhambra, built in the same factory at Palmela, a short journey east of Lisbon, Portugal,
it was about 70% Ford and 30% bits and bobs from different parts of the V.A.G. group.
Ford seats with Ford headrests and VW armrests, Ford dash with VW climate control unit, Audi roof handles, etc.

Thanks to a big tax break for commercial vehicles, there were no rear seats.
The seat fixings were sealed off, and a divider wall were fitted behind the front seats.

Unlike most of the Galaxys rolling on the roads in southwest Norway, where I'm from, and was living at the time,
this one did not have the VW 1.9 TDi under the hood, much to the local Ford garage's surprise.

I remember dropping by to book it in for service, and they immediately said "Galaxy? You'd be better off taking it to the VW garage on the other side of the motorway, as they know that diesel engine better…"
The look on the receptionist's face when I said "It's not a diesel. It's a Cosworth." - Priceless!

That 2.3 was actually developed by Cosworth, specifically for use with the Galaxy (transverse mounting) and Scorpio (longditudal mounting).
An RS2000 i4 engine block was bored out from 2.0 to 2.3 litres, and some various tuning magic was done to shafts and other components.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My first car was a J reg Mk2 Cortina back in 1979, it was just the standard 1300 in light blue (although Ford call it light green). I used to thrash it all the way to work and back through the lanes in Mid Wales and for a 1300 it used to fly (or I thought so), and it had the lightest clutch of any car I have driven

1 - 13 of 13 Posts