Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my new exhaust fitted today. Its a blueflame one.

Not sure if I am happy with it or not. the fit is supurb, but I can hardly hear the bloody thing. Around town there isa faint rumble, but get it over 3K and there is nothing.

Although I didnt want it loud, I wanted to hear it.

What are other peoples experiences?

cheers

paul

·
MEG Corporal
801 Posts
I had a Piper exhaust on my last car and it seemed to get louder as time went on, I was told that they "loosen" up, not sure if thats true or not though !!

·
Registered
472 Posts
its designed to not be boomy and so the noise reduces from about 3500 rpm on.

however, i had the same reservations when i got my system fitted but the good people on here talked about the system needing to be layered with deposits (soot/whatever) that will take 500-1000miles.

it seems to change during this time from quite a metallic hollow sound to a deeper rumble - but not one that sounds like a 5" back box mod on a 1.1i Saxo.

my mates now reckon they can hear me from a road or two away even when doing legal speeds, one lad has started calling my car the hot rod.

of course, you can't really notice it while you are driving, but the first time i went into a multi storey with my windows down i was like "that's never my car! it sounds proper boss" (yeah, i slip into full on scouse now and then).

'just give it time' would be my best advice.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like I said, There is a noise when you pull away and it is a nice one, but after 3k there is nothing what so ever. Seems quiter than the standard system.

I remember seeing a post on here sometime back saying that they liked the powerflow system because around town it was quiet, but when you floored it it made loads of noise, and that was what i was hoping for today.

Have been driving her all day and think there is a slight increase in noise, but when she cools down, it goes again.

·
Registered
472 Posts
from what the lads at blueflame said, unless they make a custom exhaust then the pre-made ones will all quieten down after 3500rpm so that the noise won't be as prevalent at motorway cruising speeds.

but then i have the piperx which kicks in, noise wise, at 3500 up to 4500 and then the engine really gets going above that - so i'm all right for sound.

someone may suggest to fiddle with the silencers/baffles/whatever the technical term is, in order to get more noise.

i think the sound of mine fits in with the performance.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I must admit, I have been looking at filters today and was looking at the piperx.

I just dont want to start getting loads of heat soak. I have got to say that performance wise, I have seen a big improvment over the standard system. Response is up, it feel alot quicker through the gears and even the MPG seems better.

I meet V6 Panther today and had a good chat with him, and he has the same system on his car, but with a de-cat. he said that that would most probabley make it sound louder too.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
my piper woz quiet to start of with
give it about 2 weeks for carbon to build then it should start making some noise mine just roar when it is floored hard and on tick over it rumbles and barbbles but when the rev's drop down changing down gear at higher rev's it pops loudly like a rally car megger correl can vouch for that lol
but when it is cruising can hardly hear it which it really good and just what i wanted so iam really impressed
just give it time for the zorst to set in but with a filter to it makes a difference just like mine.
mongoose/blueflame are known to be on the quiet side but get better when you've done a few miles with it :L

·
Ex-Ford owner
852 Posts
a decat will def make it louder. My car is much louder outside than in, when my girlfriend has driven the car and I'm outside I was amazed by how loud, and how amazing, it sounded.

From inside it sounds like a low grumble, from outside it was incredible... even driving with all the windows open didn't give the same sort of experience as it driving past me...

·
Registered
472 Posts
give it time mate - although it won't be as loud as you may have wanted it to be.

in my opinion its a proper exhaust, designed for performance - not a nova exhaust which makes a car sound like a tvr when it has all the power of a 2cv.

you could always get someone else to do a drive by and hear it outside of the car, or sit in the back and hear it there. and if you don't like it and want a more noticeable sound then de-cat it, remove some of the baffles/silencers/whatever and have fun!

i've just realised that i sound like a cheerleader for blueflame.

·
MEG Admiral
1,796 Posts
get the mid box removed mate if you dont want a decat, there may be 2 silencers (not including the rear boxes), just get a straight thru pipe it'll certainly get deeper!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Dont be so damn ungrateful lol! At least you have a nice sports exhaust...Im still waiting for someone to develop one for my Mk3 V6 Zetec S!!

·
wbumanagh
8,607 Posts
I got a custom made one on the 220. Two rear sports boxes made on site from scratch, two mid boxes removed replaced with straight thru pipe, and its deep as you like, :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
ive got a milltek system on mine and a powerflow decat pipe, i was abit gutted how quiet mine was after fitting but now after quite a few miles it sounds great, especially in a built up area you can hear it echo off all the houses as you boot it! i love it, just give it more time! and get it decatted for full flow :L :L

1 - 16 of 16 Posts