Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Steve
127 Posts
Right, well in my infinite wisdom, yesterday i decided i'd change the fuel filter, after realising its not been done from new (naughty ford).

A simple unclip, (which depressured the system), fit new one on, prime fuel pump a couple of times to get some fuel through, a bit longer to start, and hey presto, it fired.

BADLY.

It now sounds awful, struggles to rev to 3k and the only way to describe it, is a daewoo matiz, the missus' daughter in laws got one, and its making the same sound!

I've tried to fit the old filter back on, but its made no difference. As well as pressing the "valve" on the fuel rail incase it had air in it, at which point fuel sprayed all over me (thanks for that advice ford!!!)

So i got the scanner out, (snap on solus pro) and came up with these

p0171 system to lean (bank 1)
p0300 Random misfire detected
p0340 camshaft position sensor circuit misfire detected.

Ok, cam sensor failed i thought, so i've been to ford today, and replaced that, and thats made no difference either, even after re-setting the DTC codes.

A phone call back to ford, and they are adamant the timings jumped somehow, but i kinda disagree with them, the car ran perfectly beforehand, although i didnt try it the morning of the filter change, but even now, theres no rattle from the chains, nor has there ever been, and its got 137k on it now.

I'm open to any suggestions people may have!

Thanks people!!!

·
Steve
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i did think this myself, but the original filter was marked "in" and "out", so i refitted likewise, i was thinking of running another feed from the tank to the fuel lines to see if it has blocked somehow.

Although, i have today unplugged the cam sensor while the car was running, and it didnt make the slightest difference, i would of thought it should of?

Im genuinely stuck for ideas here, and rapidly losing my patience with it

·
Steve
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, after a £77 trip to paynes of hinckley to confirm, the timings jumped... somehow.

Im planning on re-timing it and seeing what happens, it still runs and drives, its just got an awful pick-up (to be expected) so, maybe, fingers crossed, i might of got away with valve damage. i doubt it though!

·
Megger
234 Posts
I would say this was more of a co-incidence, than anything to do with you changing the fuel filter.

·
Steve
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea, it seems so, it usually fires straight up every time, and i did have to crank it a lot to get it to draw the fuel up, so im thinking thats whats done it.

after stripping it yesterday, i found its jumped at least 6 teeth, and the chains are excessivly worn too, so i'm cutting my losses and sourcing a replacement engine, but sods law as its bank holiday its not going to happen now until tuesday at the earliest.

·
Registered
7 Posts
yea, it seems so, it usually fires straight up every time, and i did have to crank it a lot to get it to draw the fuel up, so im thinking thats whats done it.

after stripping it yesterday, i found its jumped at least 6 teeth, and the chains are excessivly worn too, so i'm cutting my losses and sourcing a replacement engine, but sods law as its bank holiday its not going to happen now until tuesday at the earliest.
My Daewoo Matiz sounds like a V6

·
Registered
447 Posts
My Daewoo Matiz sounds like a V6
That made me laugh when i saw the title.

I came across a very dead Matiz here in Salisbury a few years ago when we had storms, an absolutely massive tree came down on it and the main trunk of the tree is what got the car, it stopped at the engine block.
The Matiz looked very poorly lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That made me laugh when i saw the title.

I came across a very dead Matiz here in Salisbury a few years ago when we had storms, an absolutely massive tree came down on it and the main trunk of the tree is what got the car, it stopped at the engine block.
The Matiz looked very poorly lol.
It is a very fun car but it is actually a V6
Motor vehicle Hood Light Vehicle Automotive design

·
Super Moderator
31,704 Posts
Nope count em 1, 2 and 3 spark plugs. You know the rules..... If you cannot see them then they do not exist. :D

·
I Love Diesel
2,577 Posts
We've had a couple of 800cc Matiz's - they were quite fun while they lasted. I'm impressed you've squeezed a V6 in there, but I suppose there was a fair bit of free space with the 3 cylinder engine. It looked like you could have picked the engine up and walked off with it, it was so small.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We've had a couple of 800cc Matiz's - they were quite fun while they lasted. I'm impressed you've squeezed a V6 in there, but I suppose there was a fair bit of free space with the 3 cylinder engine. It looked like you could have picked the engine up and walked off with it, it was so small.
yeah I have a bog standard SE plus engine is very small. The engine in the one photoed is from an old police car (Opel Omega) 3.0L V6. The guy that built it had to cut the manifold, flip it and weld it back together to make it fit flush in the engine bay.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Nope count em 1, 2 and 3 spark plugs. You know the rules..... If you cannot see them then they do not exist. :D
ha ha.

I can just about see the rear banks camshaft pully cover so we have to let him off as if we use the spark plug rule my Mondeos V6 is completely disqualified, you cant see a single plug lol.

·
Super Moderator
31,704 Posts
ha ha.

I can just about see the rear banks camshaft pully cover so we have to let him off as if we use the spark plug rule my Mondeos V6 is completely disqualified, you cant see a single plug lol.
Time for you to take a seat my boy... You have no spark plugs it must be a diesel.. :D

Dread to think what the MPG would be like with a V6 and current petrol prices... Although I will need a trip to the pumps soon
with my 70 litre diesel tank. eeek... or what??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Time for you to take a seat my boy... You have no spark plugs it must be a diesel.. :D

Dread to think what the MPG would be like with a V6 and current petrol prices... Although I will need a trip to the pumps soon
It has its original fuel tank so before prices went up it cost £28 to fill it roughly 100 miles per tank and it's petrol

·
Registered
447 Posts

See, no visible plugs but definitely not a diesel hiss spit lol

Oh yes, its pricey since the cost of petrol sky rocketed, you would probably get 3x the mpg out of it if you drove it for a week though, i never drive it gently and can watch the fuel gauge drop ha ha.

im doing 16mpg :rolleyes:
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Car Automotive design

·
I Love Diesel
2,577 Posts
I'm getting 25-26 mpg out of this, which equates to around 300 miles per tank. Towards the end, I was struggling to get 500 miles out of the 2.2 TDCi. I used to get closer to 600 miles out of it on the same journeys, so I don't know what happened. Anyway, it's dead now, so I will never know.

Round my way, diesel is 5p per litre more than petrol at the moment (is that the same everywhere?), so I reckon I'm getting about two thirds the miles per £ from the V6.
Vehicle Car Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 28 Posts