Ford Automobiles Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Little Megger
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, A tapped hole in an aluminium engine block has, due to corrosion, lost its threads to the steel bolt that was in it. I'd like to fill the hole with some magic substance and retap it... so I can refit the bolt.
Does anyone have any recommendation for this magic substance. Its only a small bolt, 6mm diameter, holding on a cover. Any suggestions....?

·
Mosquito
236 Posts
Nick,

If aesthetics is not a problem, you could slightly enlarge the hole, half fill with Gorilla weld titanium bond epoxy,
Then stick a threaded rod in, let it set and use nut to finish.

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,002 Posts
Drill drill it out larger, re tap it and fit a Helicoil, you can use the same bolt, but will be as strong as new.

Here is the first Helicoil vid that popped up on Youtube.

·
Little Megger
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! Some options to consider there...

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,002 Posts
My suggestion was obviously so you could use the same bolt. That's most useful if it's an unusual bolt, or you want it to match with surrounding bolts.

If the fixing just needs any bolt, you could drill the hole larger and red tap it to the next metric size up.

If you don't have a good selection of taps Ebay seems to have lots of tap sets that include two or three taps in one size, so would make tapping into a blind hole possible.

Reactions: nicam49
1 - 5 of 5 Posts