Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mosquito
Mondeo MK 3 2.2 TDCI Ghia X
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006, Mondeo MK3 2.2 TDCI

So, this is my first car with a turbo and I want to understand everything my brain will allow.

I do have a basic understanding of the principles of how a turbo works, as do I have some knowledge of differences between variable and fixed vane turbos. What I want to know exactly, is what type of turbo I've got.

What I believe;

I have a variable vane turbo, with an electronically controlled actuator. (Cannot find any concrete info. to substantiate or confirm this, 100%)

(Haven’t taken turbo cover off yet, but can see the actuator - picture below).

Not to sure;

• Is variable vane turbo the same as variable geometry turbo ?

• A variable vane turbo has a MAF, a fixed vane does not. (Read on this forum).

• A variable vane turbo does not have a wastegate (or does not need a wastegate). All info. read, states this.
I’m sort of getting there, when I see this in the Haynes manual - Ford Mondeo, July 2003 to 2007, Petrol and Diesel.

The text doesn’t mention actuator, only wastegates and both pictures have wastegates.

Now I am a bit confused, which doesn’t take much 😳😁

Am I missing something ? or should I consider a psychological assessment.

Any help or enlightenment will be greatly accepted and appreciated.

Publication Newspaper Font Material property Book

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Book Font Publication Parallel Illustration

Publication Book Sleeve Automotive tire Font

·
Super Moderator
30,347 Posts
There are fixed vane turbo's with a MAF also.

Wastegate poorly labelling in my opinion, if someone asked me what that part was I would have replied its the
vacuum actuator for the variable vanes or the vacuum actuator for the wastegate on a fixed vane turbo.

The wastegate is operated by the rod in 13.6a where it enters the manifold on the right. 6 is not the wastegate.

·
Mosquito
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Purple,

I reckon the the Haynes is just waste of space and causes nothing but confusion.

It’s probably an unfair question to ask, only just seeing a photo, but in your opinion, do you think that my turbo is different to the ones highlighted in the Haynes ?

Considering the electronic actuator, I think it highly likely. Will have a better idea when I start working on the engine and take the turbo cover off.

·
Super Moderator
30,347 Posts
Variable vane turbo's look the same whether vacuum operated or electronically operated.

You can fit the electronic actuator to the vacuum operated turbo, just remove the stop screw.
And same fitting a vacuum operated actuator fit that and the stop screw instead of the electronic part.

Actual turbo is an identical casting. Fixed vane with a wastegate is different but possibly could be
made to work?

·
Mosquito
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again Purple.

I appreciate your response.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Hi

The only important step to take with a turbo is never shut down engine from high engine speed. For example don’t blip the throttle then switch off. Always let engine idle so that Turbo speed is at slowest, then switch off.

When I owned my MK3 ST, my first car with a Turbo. I always made a point of working the engine at least once each journey, to blast any crap out of exhaust. Then, especially on long journeys drop speed and cruise a while to lower Turbo temperature before closing engine down. Namely not thrash engine just before switching off.

These actions seemed to keep engine internals and Turbo vanes clear and only required one EGR replacement in 100K. This was a mechanical fault where shaft broke jamming valve.

Peter

Reactions: jack s

·
Mosquito
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Peter,

Advice very much appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts