Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MEG Corporal
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cable modem connected to a Linksys WRT54G

The router is in a part of the house that doesn`t lend itself to connect other computers to it easily with wires and up until now I have used wireless connections.

I do have one wire which was put through the house which is in a better position to connect other computers to.

The question:

From this network cable, can I split/route/switch/hub (not sure what the technical term is) to other computers?

The WRT54G is a router with 4 port switch.......can I use one of the ports on the back through the existing network cable and put it into another hub to make more ports?

Is it another hub that I need or is a network switch?

The cable already installed is not a cross-over so will this be a problem?

·
Retired
2,480 Posts
You can use a hub to make more ports avaiable, from you cable, but obviously the data transfer rate will drop between the computers on the cable. I would suggest a swith would probably be an over kill for what you are trying to do, just stick with a hub. They are cheep enough from the likes of Fleabay.

You don't need crossover cables all the "crossing over" is done in the hub.

·
MEG Corporal
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris_mitton said:
...... but obviously the data transfer rate will drop between the computers on the cable.
If I get a 10/100 hub I can`t see why it would slow down any data transfer?

I don`t quite understand the differences in the way speed is quoted.......I have a 2mb connection....is this 2000 Kbit/s?

In which case is a 10/100 hub moving data at 100/1000 Kbit/s speed?

·
Yo
3,632 Posts
You can get either a switch or a hub, but hardly anyone sells hubs anymore so just get a switch - you don't need to worry about the differences between the two, they will do exactly the same thing from your point of view :)

10/100 switch/hub will run at 100mbit if you have 100mbit cards in your computer (they all are, unless your network card is years old!). 100mbit is about 12 megabytes per second. Your 2mbit line runs at 256 kilobytes per second so you won't have to worry about any speed problems by having the switch plugged into the cable you are talking about plugging it into.

Go to www.ebuyer.com to buy the switch, as their prices are pretty much unbeatable!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
like already said i doubt you would get a hub anymore but a simple network switch would do exactly what you want, just connect the switch to the wire and patch leads to any other computers you want

·
MEG Corporal
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

I take it that it doens`t need to be anything special?

Ebuyer have a non-managed switch for about £10

·
Yo
3,632 Posts
Nothing special at all, the £10 one will do you fine, however I tend to avoid the really cheap ones as I have found the power supplys tend to get very hot, andthis being the sort of thing that gets left on 24/7, you don't really want that!

If you are willing to spend a bit more, go for a d-link or netgear one :)

·
Yo
3,632 Posts

·
Banned
716 Posts
MR_T said:
You can get either a switch or a hub, but hardly anyone sells hubs anymore so just get a switch - you don't need to worry about the differences between the two, they will do exactly the same thing from your point of view :)

10/100 switch/hub will run at 100mbit if you have 100mbit cards in your computer (they all are, unless your network card is years old!). 100mbit is about 12 megabytes per second. Your 2mbit line runs at 256 kilobytes per second so you won't have to worry about any speed problems by having the switch plugged into the cable you are talking about plugging it into.

Go to www.ebuyer.com to buy the switch, as their prices are pretty much unbeatable!
Ebuyer might have good prices but they have a very bad reputation for customer service if anything goes wrong/needs sent back etc.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
i dont know about VERY bad reputation, thats a little far fetched, i admit that there system is a little tricky and slow, but ive sent 10 items back to them in under a year, each time ive been given a replacement without TOO much hastle, or a refund. and they do pay for all shipping fees for the faulty goods.

overall i think the CS is pretty good for a large company, much better than comet who im in a conflict with over a HDTV which isnt HD!! there bloody idiots!

·
Yo
3,632 Posts
There getting better, especially now they have a phone number!!

I buy loads off them, and very very rarely have I had a problem, plus at £10 for a switch as opposed to more like £30 from pc world, I know where I would rather go!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts