Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Big Megger
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, fitted some new disks n pads last week and have noticed that there are sticking on abit, i have changed brakes before but not sure why its happening.

the old disks and pads were really worn down and to get the new pads in i had to compress the brake piston in quite a way, when i did this i removed the cap on the brake fluid chamber, now with the new brakes fitted i have noticed that the fluid level is above the maximum, not by much though will this be causing it? any other ideas would be very appreciated

thanks lads i need you help again :)

·
MEG Corporal
801 Posts
brake fluid is ok above max and normal as the callipers go back and push the fluid back to the container.
sticking ???
siezed calliper???
unfortunately you have to find which one if you don't know it yet and try to oil it or unwedge it when you pushed it back or a piston might got fucked -> new calliper :tonofbricks:
to be pushed back very slowly and carefuly if possible without g-clamps or anything similar as they recomend

·
MEG Corporal
599 Posts
if the piston was pushed a fair way out, did you clean it with solvol autosol etc before refitting?
maybe it's sticking on some crud?
p.s, is it both sides sticking/getting hot?

·
Big Megger
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea its both sides that are gettin hot, but abit ago i removed the fluid cap and pressed the brake pedal hard a few times then replaced the cap and took it for a drive and it seams to be alot better

·
MEG Corporal
599 Posts
Lol,you didn't answer my question.U a politician :D
Best case scenario is they're just bedding in?
Otherwise,I've had the same problem a few times,( mainly on bikes ).Fair enuff they're easier to work on,but same principle.
Make sure the pistons are clean.If u didn't - you'll have to take the pads out and push the pistons ( nearly )out to clean the rust/crap off.
Then, as SDR says,clean + lube the calliper with copperslip etc.
Then re-bleed and fill to the correct level.
Should be fine then.If not i suggest you pt Meg member Marney. He's good with brakes.

HTH :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts