Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, only had my '56 plate TDCI a few weeks and already had a few niggles which I'd used this forum to diagnose successfully (air-con leak & sticky rear caliper).

I wanted to change the Sony 6CD H/U for an Alpine one for Ipod use and had it fitted today by Halfords and it looks a right mess (see attached) with it sticking out at the bottom and the surround looks too big for the unit to fit in the facia hole.

Does every aftermarket H/U stick out like this at the bottom or is the halfords guy being a biff? The Halfords guy said he'd never had so many issues before and he'd had to mod the replacement facia cage to make it fit which always makes me worry.

Everything works correctly and the USB lead isn't keeping the cage from sitting right (we had the lead at the top too and the bottom still stuck out) but I'm convinced that the cage is wrong.

Cheers....................................................IanH
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After an evening of searching I've found a definitive answer - For facelift Mondeo's the Centre Console for a Sony H/U (Ghia/Ghia X) is internally different than the one for a standard Ford H/U.

An aftermarket Double Din unit will fit a standard Ford radio centre console flush with no issues. If you are replacing a Sony radio then the centre console needs "modifying" (sections cut out) for the new radio to fit flush.

Long story short with the original Sony unit removed you need to remove sections from the top and rear of the centre consoles radio area.

Here's the other threads I've found about this with diagrams and/or pictures of the modifying req'd.

http://www.stdrivers.co.uk/forum/topic/11731-ford-mondeo-double-din-fitting-kit/#entry117150

http://www.talkford.com/topic/113287-double-din-kit-does-not-fit-in-post-facelift-car/#entry1084560

Hope this helps out anyone else.....................................................IanH
 

·
Little Megger
Joined
·
19 Posts
Hi Ian,

Justfound your post with a Google saerch, and I'm hoping you won't mind me picking your brains for a moment. I've had the same stereo fitted to my '06 Ghia X by Halfords, and although my branch seems to have made a much better job of fitting it than yours did, they can't get the steering wheel remote to work. At first, it was my fault (sort of) for not realising the wiring harness they were fitting didn't support the steering wheel controls - they then ordered the necessary lead from AutoLeads (I think) and only charged me 50% and fitted it free. However, it still didn't work. The guy thought that he had to cut one of the cables, but after speaking to the cable people and Alpine it turned out that a firmware update was needed by the stereo. I've downloaded that, and applied it to no avail. So, before I go back to Halfords, does your remote work OK, and do you have any suggestions what we might be doing wrong?

Many thanks

Regards

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry about the long reply, I missed this thread!

The Halfords lad also had exactly the same issues with mine. In the end it was down to whether the steering remote was plugged in before the power was switched on or plugged in whilst the power was switched on. I honestly can't remember which it was but I know he disconnected the remote (possibly reset it by reconnecting some wires on it???) and then did the power on/plug in in which ever order it was that worked.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but the guy was seriously unhappy that was hovering over his shoulder while he was having "issues" and kept asking me to stand away.
 

·
Little Megger
Joined
·
19 Posts
Hi Ian,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Took the car back to Halfords again, and the manager (who did the original fit) came and had a look. It is, apparently, critical that the connections to the radio and the stalk controls are made in a particular order. The instruction sheet which comes with the cables is correct, as long as you follow it to the letter. Connect something up at the wrong time, or turn the unit on at the wrong time, and you're back to square 1! All working now, thankfully.

Thanks again

Kind regards

Jim
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top