Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have a mk3 mondeo pre face, its on an 04 plate.

Its in good condition and has all the zetec toys plus DVD Player, reversing sensors and angel eyes.

It was just about to tick on to 77777miles but before that could happen the inlet manifold killed my car :-(

So my choice is fit another engine, get this engine sent away to be fixed or sell the car to the beakers and get something
else on finance.

It has just had a new clutch and fly wheel at 70000 and some new break callipers 2 months ago at MoT time.

I really dont know what to do and am not really sure what i could get for mine at the breakers.

Thanks for any help
Alex

·
Super Moderator
19,696 Posts
sorry to hear about the intake failure

is the damage from the intake that extensive

tbh, if it was my mota, i think i would at least look at finding a cheap alternative engine for it given that its had so much work done to keep it going already, that way ur not wasting that money already spent ( i say this as my sister always buys another motor when hers starts costing her money on loads of repairs but then always seems to end up buying one thats in need of a fair few repairs itself which i think is what makes me so unlikely to change my mota anytime soon
) - another one may be to look out on autotrader or the local free adds for a MOT failure thats failed on an extensive list of stuff like brakes & such & snap it up cheaply for its engine ( assuming that part worked at the MOT
)

but at the end of the day it depends how much you want to chuck into it still ( i suppose you could always break it & flog on the new bits to recoup some of the spendings on em before you have the car collected for scrap etc but that will depend on how much spare space you have etc

·
Big Megger
2,886 Posts
need a garage with one of those little cameras (endoscope) to check the damage, if pistons are damaged then no good, if only valve damage then would be worth getting second hand head and getting it fixed, would guess 500 tops.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
i agree with compuwiz_uk and stripe88 on this, it would be wise to investigate the extent of the damage and to price up a replacement engine before condemning your car. If you don't have access to an endoscope, then maybe the traditional method of checking the damage might be worthwhile (head off) even if you do it yourself, (good practice removing manifold for flap check/fix if get new engine, some are replacing rods and flaps, others are removing completely with no problems reported)

i know its a bit late, but were there any symptoms leading up to the death? rattle etc...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There where no symptoms it just died.

I have told them to take it apart and find out how much to fix it all. Thinking that the car running will be worth more for a part-ex after the work then just giving up and getting a few £100 for it as scrap.

Shall see what is said when they call me tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice guys
Alex

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
usually i/m failure is preceeded by tapping, and/or lack of power.

strange they just died like that.

it might be something else, tensioner/cambelt related, my mk1 mondy zetec died, that was purring well beforehand, then was going down a big hill at a few knots and all of a sudden the power went, and a rattling started, tensioner was in 7 pieces, belt was fine, all valves bent.

·
Super Moderator
30,028 Posts
2004 pre-facelift and had the manifold failure? Had the car long?

Didnt buy it from someone off ebay in south wales did you? That one looked fake,

Might be worth a proper check before spending any money on it.

Use the ETIS link below, Vehicle tab, Pop your reg or VIN number in there and see when it was built and
also the date of 1st registration.

·
Super Moderator
19,696 Posts
col_tubbs has a facelift mondy but has had to have a new intake manifold after he took the car in for the PCV pipe replacing as the flaps were loose when the garage checked it before refitting. circa 80k miles if memory serves.

·
Sparky by trade Mechanic by faith
79 Posts
I have just removed the flaps from my 2003 2.0L Ghia X. it had the new flaps and was intermittently rattling. I was suspicious as my wifes 1.8 always felt quicker too.
Purple has helped with suggestions on my other posts but last weekend I plucked up the courage to whip the manifold off and have a look.
Later manifold and flaps fitted, worn, fuxed and now removed. Car is a totally different beast, loads more responsive, smooth and quiet.
Posted details in the Graphic Failure post.

CHECK YOUR 2003 ONWARDS CARS BEFORE THEY DIE ! ! !

·
Super Moderator
30,028 Posts
So the cured post 2002 ish cars, Are now showing signs of failure themselves?

Oh dear, Any see a boom in sales of mondeo manifolds looming?

No reply from Lexic yet, I was curious about a 2004 car thats a prefacelift one.

Only one i have seen is a dodgy one advertised for sale in south wales i think, looked
very much like a 2001 car on facelift plates.

Not sure if it was mentioned on here or another forum.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sorry mine is a 04 Plate but a 2002 car, not sure why might have been last one out the factory or just dident sell.....

Anyway update the man at the garage is trying to bring it back to life for me but has said it could be 2-3 weeks before i can have it back and looking at a cost of around £1000-£1500 :-(

Bad times.

I am going down the car auctions next week to pick up a temp car until i can get mine back on the road.

My dad said if i want to scrap it he will give me £300 for it and have it fixed for him to use, so i might as well get it fixed and then try to sell it or if it runs fine i might just keep it, I do love it but hate having problems but dont we all.

Alex

-Edit,

Just thinking would it be worth having him fit the cosworth manifold while having all this work done? is it just as simple as putting the new ford one in?

As if i can pick up one for a few 100 then might be worth a treat after all this.

·
Super Moderator
30,028 Posts
If it was built in 2002 then probably best to say that not a 2004. Sometimes there will be differences,

I nearly bought a 2002 estate but it was actually built late 2000.

Not sure on the manifold, I did read about one manifold fitted to a car for sale recently, They had to cut the subframe away
for it to fit. Selling as a track car i think?

I guess after chopping that away it was not safe for the road.

Not got the tools to have a go at swapping the head yourself?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts