Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi all,

I've updated SYNC3 from v2.2 to 3.0.3 last week on my Edge with no issues last week. I've used the https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/sync-bluetooth/update#/status/ webpage by providing my VIN number and downlooading the update that was offered.

Out of interest, I wanted to see if there are any new updates available last night, and a separate button now has appeared for updating navigation maps (7.3 GB approx). Anyone else has noticed this?

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Problem is though, whenever I press the button to prepare the download, the "Please wait.." screen appears and download does not start. I've been waiting for over 2 hours last night and had to cancel in the end as doesn't seem to work properly

Font Rectangle Screenshot Circle Electric blue

Attachments

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Literally just tried this having seen this post and it's started to download a 20.6gb file for the Mrs' Kuga.

Will be interesting to see what version it ends up being.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mark,

What browser are you trying to download with? Was the "Please wait..." showing for a long time before it started? I just can't get mine to start downloading, tried on different computers, browsers etc.

I know the F7 maps are around 21GB in size, so could be the latest one... but then again, mine shows 7.3GB before download..

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I'm using chrome, it went through almost instantly so didn't really see a "please wait" pop up.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Put the VIN in and hit enter, takes about 5 seconds to change the page and say there is an update.

Click "prepare maps download" and "Please wait" pops up for 1-2seconds then you get the "Download Software" window pop up and you can then click "Accept and Download software".

An hour later I have a 22GB zip file.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Please wait page never goes away for me.... don't think this is anything to do with my PC, I think it is a s crew up from Ford, as 7.3GB for maps update doesn't sound right anyway.... Will see, maybe another Edge owner can try and see...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
1st part of installation now done and it is map version F7, upgraded from EU 4 15

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers Mark. I have found a post on another website with links and instructions on how to upgrade to F7 with 2 USB sticks. All upgraded to F7 successfully.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
They're better than EU 4 15.

Drove to Weymouth today and didn't drive through a single field this time :L

·
Registered
68 Posts
Been researching DIY map updates since my dealer has had the car 3 times in the last month and failed to do it in spite of charging me for it as an optional add-on to the last service. 1st time 3% complete after several hours, then abandoned so I could have the car back. 2nd time system down all day so unable to start download. 3rd time, said they'd done it, and charged me, but both Sync and map versions were unchanged, so they er...lied?...made a mistake?

I can now understand why, when I booked the car in for service, they were evasive and unenthusiastic about doing the software and map updates. They wouldn't tell me if updates were available for either Sync or maps, wouldn't tell me how long it would take, or give me a price, other than to say it could take several hours at £95 an hour. I phoned the dealership head office and complained, so they took my reg, and quite quickly told me both are available and quoted £65 for the whole job. If the process they use is as unreliable and time-wasting as it seems, then they can't make any money out of it and try to put customers off.

Piecing together the info from the previous posts in this topic, and others I found elsewhere, it looks like you can now update maps yourself, but there are some pre-requisites. Sync 3 needs to be latest version, and Nav software also latest version, then you can update maps (not quite got to that point myself yet but others have on other forums).

For me (Mondeo 2016 Sync 3 v 2.3) entering VIN on Ford website Sync3 update page found 1 Sync 3 software update (2.7Gb) yesterday. The intro page implied that map updates were also available but no details visible when searching VIN. I applied that update, then uploaded the log file which appears to be a pre-requisite for the next step. I searched again for new updates but none available. The update was not exactly straightforward.

On first inserting USB stick a message said USB device requires too much power, please remove. I tried several times more and got the same message, then eventually no message. I'm guessing that as USB socket never used since car was new, the contacts were dirty and reinserting the stick several times cleaned them. However, after 10 minutes no signs of any update happening. Started again, ditto after another 10 min. 3rd time, I went into auto-update settings and selected Scan for Updates, then after a few seconds a message indicated software updating. It took less than 30 min to complete.

This morning I searched again with VIN, and it found what it called a map software update (7Gb) which I also applied. That was also not straightforward, as I then got a message saying Indexing USB contents, which should only happen for music files. That can apparently cause a long delay before the update starts. Caused by a file missing from the Zip download, so I copied the file DONTINDX.MSA from yesterday's Sync 3 update into the root of the USB stick, and the update started immediately. Completed in less than 30 min.

Tried to upload the log file, but failed several times. Re-tried successfully an hour later.

I'm hoping that when I search again with the VIN tomorrow, that there will be a map update available. I have read elsewhere that the car's update log files are only processed overnight and that's why the updates need to be downloaded one at a time over several days.

I'll post back tomorrow with the results of the map update, assuming there is one found, and details of any further difficulties encountered.

Note that the map update should be 22Gb, so a 32Gb USB stick will be needed.

I can't understand why the Ford website doesn't explain the whole process up front in the intro and in the more detailed instructions page, instead of letting you guess what will happen next. Lot's of people would assume that after the first download that's all there is. I only knew to check, as I'd read another forum.

You'd also think that dealers would be aware of the process and give you an instruction sheet, if they can't or don't want to do it for you.

·
Nottz Megger
2016 Focus MK3 Titanium + City Pack + Sync3 + MK3.5 IPC
1,944 Posts
I updated mine the other week and first attempt failed for whatever reason.

Second try I got a message to remove USB then turned everything off for 5mins and turned back and the install started. Only took around 20odd mins in total.

Took photos of the software version screen and definitely updated.

Uploaded the log file to ford.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
An update to my post of 23rd.

A map update was available online the day after updating the Nav software and uploading the log file.

Difficulties encountered:-

Car will not recognise new Sandisk USB3 Ultra Flair flash drives. Retried using an old USB2 64Gb stick.

Map download was 20.6Gb. Took several hours to unzip to the USB2 stick.

Car recognised stick ok but immediately displayed LST_ERR04 which indicates a mismatch between the files in the download and the data in the autoinstall lst file. Looks like there may be duplicate filenames in the list file.

Phoned Ford customer relations using the number 020 3564 444 displayed on the screen. Select the customer relations option (opens 9:30am), then the Sync Option.

They informed that they have been having technical difficulties with the updates, affecting both dealers and the website downloads. Timescale for fixing it estimated at 2 weeks from now.

I strongly suggested they should disable the download of map data until it is fixed and display a message to that effect on the website, instead of letting customers and dealers waste hours on it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Again an update to my earlier post. I investigated further the LST_ERR04 error message and the contents of the autoinstall.lst file.

The install is divided into 2 sections, one to update the maps, then a reboot, then one to update the navigation voice file. The error appears to be that the map update file is included in both sections in error (1st file in section 2), which means that the car detects that the update cannot be installed correctly.

; SYNC3 Consumer Appplication Upgrade - Release 3.0.13 - Only for Nav/EU assemblies.

[SYNCGen3.0_3.0.18025_PRODUCT]
Item1 = HB5T-14G386-TJA
Open1 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-TJA.tar.gz
Item2 = JR3T-14G424-BC
Open2 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G424-BC.tar.gz
Item3 = JR3T-14G421-BC
Open3 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G421-BC.tar.gz
Options = Delay
[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = JR3T-14G421-BC (These 2 lines are duplicated)
Open1 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G421-BC.tar.gz
Item2 = JR3T-14G422-BC
Open2 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G422-BC.tar.gz
Item3 = GB5T-14G386-AA
Open3 = SyncMyRide\GB5T-14G386-AA.tar.gz
Options = Delay,Include,Transaction

My car is still under warranty, so I'm going to wait until Ford correct the error and try the map download again.

It's possible that commenting out the duplicated lines and renumbering the lines that follow would correct the problem.

For anyone tempted to try the map downloads available from unofficial sources, it looks to me as if they don't contain the licence files, nor may they create the log file written to the memory stick after a successful update and used to update the Ford database. The various smaller files are missing, and some of the Options parameters are missing. That would mean you would quite likely be unable to download future updates from Ford, as their database would no longer match your car. I'm guessing here to some extent, but I wouldn't risk it.

There seems to be a few bugs in the Sync 3 update I installed. Version number as shown in the file above.

1. The navigation screen display no longer switches automatically from day to might mode when it goes dark. You can still switch it manually, but a pain if you are driving at dusk.
  2. The system takes a little longer than before to start up.
  3. The dimmer control for the dashboard display only dims the outer rings of the speedo and rev counter, leaving the centre of the dials and the central digital speed display at full brightness.
  4. The radio or other music source is no longer muted during satnav voice messages.
  5. I haven't yet tested if muting still works during phone calls.
  6. Pre-collision warning seems a bit over sensitive. It's triggered a few times when quite far from the car in front, but maybe now more sensitive to your speed relative to the stopping distance.

I tried doing a Master Reset. That had no effect on any of the above issues.

Improvements noted after the updates (maps not done yet).

1. Navigation voice messages are more appropriately timed before approaching a junction, and are repeated at the correct time when the junction is reached. Previously they were often too early and not repeated.
  2. Navigation screen displays some icons I'd not seen before, such as road works (though the road works indicated had been completed some weeks before).
  3. The proximity sensor display seems more detailed and in tight spaces sometimes shows a complete view all around the car, with very close objects in red and less close objects in yellow.

I'll add a new post when Ford have corrected the map updates, and report any issues with installation or use.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Addendum to my earlier post.

Now tested phone functions. Audio does mute properly during phone calls.

1 new bug/feature. After the Sync 3 update, the update via wi-fi facility is no longer there and the check for updates button on the screen has gone. No great loss, as it never found any updates during the 18 months I've had the car. It does still connect to my wi-fi, but that doesn't seem to have any purpose now. Anyone know different?

Sent an email with the contents of the above posts to Ford Customer Relations and complaints dept of TC Harrison Ford, suggesting they should both get their acts together.

I'll do another post when I get a reply, or is it unrealistic to expect that Ford might actually let me know when the download has been corrected and is working, so I don't have to spend hours downloading it by trial and error :)

It would be interesting to know if other dealers have successfully done these updates for owners, how long it took, and how much they charged. I initially thought £65 was a reasonable price compared to what I've paid in the past for other makes of car. I still think it's reasonable if they succeeded, as it requires several hours of your own time to do it yourself.

Theoretically, you are supposed to leave the engine running while the updates are applied, or drive the car for the approx 30+30+90 minutes the 3 updates take. Hardly convenient! In practice, I found that it only really needs the entertainment system to be on, but it shuts itself off after about 10 min. I initially left the engine idling during the first update, but the car filled with exhaust fumes as it was stationary. I switched the engine off, then every 15 min switched off the power with the start/stop button and immediately switched it on again without starting the engine. That kept the console alive during the updates. If you do nothing, the accessory power cuts off to the whole car after 30 min, so pressing start/stop button every 15 minutes resets the timer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sync 3 bugs 1 and 3 in my earlier post are not bugs. The auto day/night display setting and the dashboard dimmer control only fully work when the headlight switch is set to auto.

·
Nottz Megger
1,944 Posts
Just had a look at my sync3 and it looks like the build version updated but not the maps.

Can anyone confirm whether the maps still need updating?
5e23cd4fcf53fcfdaf7df7fc5b30939d.jpg

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Well, there is a version EU4 15 which is newer than yours and now an F7 version. So yes, your maps still need updating.

·
Nottz Megger
1,944 Posts
Well, there is a version EU4 15 which is newer than yours and now an F7 version. So yes, your maps still need updating.
How do you get the latest maps? When I enter my vin it says I'm all up to date.

Looks like I was only able to update the build version probably why it didn't take as long.

Is there a separate link for maps?

1 - 20 of 95 Posts