Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just a quick question!! Had a new rack and resourvoir fitted today, picked up the car and the steering is really heavy and when stationary extremely heavy. I heard that Ford have introduced a modified resouvoir and there is an additional filter installed that must be removed after 5 minutes of running the engine. Now, on looking into the resouvoir there is a little orange tab sticking out just proud of the level of the oil, am I correct in thinking that the garage has not removed the filter?

All replies gratefull recieved.

Ron.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes that is the filter, you can remove it yourself by just pulling on the orange tab. All should be well then.

Or don't touch it and bring the car back to the garage while citing that you've heard about an additional filter in the PAS reservoir and let them sort it.

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that is the filter, you can remove it yourself by just pulling on the orange tab. All should be well then.

Or don't touch it and bring the car back to the garage while citing that you've heard about an additional filter in the PAS reservoir and let them sort it.
Thanks for that BlakeS94, I'll give the garage a call and let them know and they can make the decision whether I do or them!!

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,686 Posts
What has to be removed/refitted to replace a rack. Are any of the bolts mentioned in this link involved.
This link springs to mind regarding different length bolts being put back in the wrong place - just a thought

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So quick update. I called the garage and had a discussion with the receptionist about removing the orange tab, she called over the mechanic who stated that the parts supplier and ford had said that the tab should stay in place and not be removed so I told him the steering was very heavy and that the pump was screeming when I started it up that morning and according to the Talk Ford Forum the tab should be removed, so eventualy he agreed to talk with Ford Technical and would call back. So after about an hour tey call back and say that I was correct and that Ford had changed the protocol without telling their outlets and that now the tab needs to be removed and could I bring it back, so did that, they took 2 hours to do it and still the steering is heavy and reluctant to centre! maybe it just needs running in!! or has the pump gone.....again, if so this will be it's third!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Your mechanic is an idiot, the orange tab that pulls out has been a well known thing on power steering fluid reservoirs for many years now.

Unfortunately it could be the case of the wrong size bolts being inserted as another poster said, this is more common than you'd think. I'd be bringing it back in and saying you've paid a lot of money for the repair and it's not right, tell them you know about gearbox bolt and steering rack bolt being mixed up and the wrong bolt going up through the steering rack because it's too long.

It takes about 2 seconds to remove that tab, probably took them 2 hours because they were trying to bleed it but that may never have been the issue. if they did mix up the bolts then they need to do the job again, don't let them off easy.

A new rack and reservoir should leave your steering feeling effortless.

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,686 Posts
Ron, have they removed refitted any of the bolts as mentioned in my above post number 4
If they have, and then put them back in the wrong positions (due to different length) it will have damaged the rack tube and need another new rack

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guy's.
I got the impression that they were blaming the pump, yes it was installed with a dodgy rack but is only a few months old! Although the steering when stationary improves slightly when you increase the revs!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
A knackered rack will quickly ruin a brand new pump, all it takes is some restricted flow of power steering fluid and the vanes in the pump start running dry, which would be the high pitched sound from the pump.

I'd still stick with the bolts being the wrong way around and make 100% sure that's not the issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts