Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 Galaxy WA6 2.2 TDCI (Q4BA) approx 150k miles

Hi Gang

For a few weeks now I've been getting an engine malfunction warning appear so after reading a good thread on here, I took the TB off and had a look at the plastic gears under the cover of the electronic motor. They were all there but the teeth were fairly worn looking so decided to buy a new Pierburg unit. Fitted it today and made a reset on the learned values.

Disappointingly, the problem is there. When changing down to third gear, revs go up and the EML comes on. Engine is running fine, no fault codes other than C1A59:13-6C which is headlamp related so now I'm considering an O2 sensors or throttle position sensors as possible culprits.

It all started after reading the following DTC a few weeks ago and seeing this:

P2297(21)
Raw code: 229721
ECU: Engine control unit[Archive (inactive)]
Status: Test failed since last DTC clear, Test not completed during this operation cycle
OBDII: Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) 1, bank 1 - signal out of range during deceleration


I bought a tool for removing O2 sensors but then read some more from Bandit51 in other threads and went for TB first only because I knew it was pretty well worn anyway.

The odd things is, the EML codes are not stored for me read after a test drive. I could just replace stuff until I find the right suspect but I'd be happier to be a bit more efficiency and troubleshoot properly.

I made a 400 second live data recording where the error popped up 3 times but I still can't figure it out. I put in all the values I thought I'd need but I simply don't know how to interpret them. Does anyone fancy giving me a hand please? I've attached the livedata file and changed the extention from .fsl to .txt which will obviously need to be changed back for Forscan to read it.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Gang. I guess nobody knows how to help me or I'm still too new to deserve it. No worries. I'm still chipping away at this so hopefully when I've solved the problem the info here will be helpful to someone else.

I've had a suggestion that the hoses that run via the differential pressure switch may be bad so once the exhaust cools down a bit, I'll check them. If it's not that then I'll be suspecting the O2 sensor and may just replace it anyway, it's done at least 40k miles.

I did measure the "soot mass in particle filter" today and it's 25g. A DPF regen is supposed to happen between 30-40g so I think I can rule out a blocked DPF.

The "heated exhaust gas oxygen sensor" in bank 1 sensor 1 measured 0.00v for a test period of 150 seconds - which I believe to mean that no there is no difference in oxygen measured between the two sides of the sensor (zirconia wafer) and that is a good thing. If I've understood correctly then the O2 sensor may not be the culprit.

One anomaly that I did notice was with the measurement for the Catalyst temperature bank 1 sensor 1 (CATEMP11). During the engine idle test, the reading dropped once (after around 95 seconds) from 110 degrees to to -40 and then climbed back up to roughly match the reading that bank 1 sensor 2 (CATEMP12) was giving consistently. Definitely an indication of a fault but I don't quite know exactly what.

257689


The problem remains unsolved but I'll keep posting as I get nearer the solution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I found the problem but have yet to replace the part because the wrong one was sent to me. I order Ford original part number 1369263 which were supposed to be the rubber hoses from the DPF to the pressure sensor. Unfortunately, even though multiple sites show my car as being compatible with this part - it is in fact not.

The part I actually need is 1440559 which is much shorter and does not contain any aluminum pipes. What has happened is that end nearest the DPF have chaffed from rubbing against each other. It's impossible to see it until you move it with your hands and had my neighbour not suggested it, I would never have found it.

I'm 95% certain this is the problem but need to wait now for delivery of the hoses.

However, another neighbour decided to reverse in to my car on Tuesday morning and now it has to go for repair. Nothing too serious, it still drives well but looks a bit of a mess now.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top