Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Megger
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon everyone,

Hoping some of you can give me your opinions.

First off, the car had been suffering from an engine misfire/ juddering issue whilst changing through gears 1 to 4. The car had recorded no fault codes. I suspected the EGR valve and unplugged the electrical connection (Euro 4) and the problem immediately cured itself with the engine management light on. Fair enough.

Then suddenly the other day, my car has appeared to have gained a dump valve over night. I now get a 'whoosh' from the turbo on lift off and when changing gear. My question is what can be causing this as it is not normal as it has never done this before?

Could it be the pipe that runs from the intercooler to the EGR? Explains no fault codes on a relatively new EGR valve (1 year old).

Is it the exhaust? I have read that this could be the cause but find it slightly difficult to understand why.

Or is the turbo itself?

Any help would be great!

·
ME
5,869 Posts
Odds on the pair of you have both got a hole in your exhausts, Usually meaning your rear silencer is about to come off. What you can hear is the turbo spooling down as you change gear or lift off. All TDCi's do it you just can't hear it because of the exhaust baffles. Because you have a hole in your exhaust before a baffle, the sound can now be heard.

·
1,211 Posts
The sound is liable to be coming from/ connected to the exhaust, favorite places on the mk3 diesel are just before the backbox, the flexi, and the EGR pipe is connected to the exhaust too, any leak in these places will allow you to hear this noise, you may find there is no difference in performance/ economy, disabling/ blocking the EGR valve is unlikely to cause it (or how old the EGR is), it is probably due to corrosion (rust) causing holes (even tiny ones) in the exhaust (or the insides of the backbox rusting out) or splits/ bad joins due to age/ components expanding/ contracting due to constant heating/ cooling

Several / lots of short trips per day are apparently bad for the exhaust, the exhaust expands as it heats up as you run it (mainly at the front), then contracts as it cools when the car sits idle, if this is done several times in a day it puts more stress on the exhaust (at a much lower milage) than running the car all day, moisture can also form in the exhaust (petrol cars mainly) and it has less chance to evaporate (increasing the chance of rust) - not a lot of people know this

·
Old Fords never die they just keep on rolling.
3,051 Posts
A whooshing noise on acceleration would be a split pipe. Whooshing on gearchange would I suspect be exhaust or air inlet side.

·
Megger
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well thank you for the very quick responses!

So i think we can safely say it is the exhaust system. Not surprising as the car has almost 110,000 miles with the original exhaust on.

So this means that the last third of the exhaust system needs replacing? The rear silencer/tail pipe end?

Is this something that I can do myself reasonably easily?

One stupid question, if its a hole in the exhaust, why would it be about to fall off? I have read this elsewhere with some fear!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I have the same with mine thought it might have a wastegate into the manifold becouse it only done it after decating it and it was fine before this but ive been told there is no w/g.
Ive lost no power and only does it when letting off the power.

·
1,211 Posts
Zak...

If the part of the exhaust just in front of the backbox gets badly rusted, it can weaken here and snap (it holds the weight of the front of the backbox, 7kgs ), if it snaps the backbox may drop on the ground, which is bad

·
ME
5,869 Posts
I have the same with mine thought it might have a wastegate into the manifold becouse it only done it after decating it and it was fine before this but ive been told there is no w/g.
Ive lost no power and only does it when letting off the power.
The cat pretty much acts as a silencer.

·
Megger
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well everyone, it definitely was the exhaust! It has just fallen off the car on the way home! Waiting for the AA to come and remove it from the underside of the car completely!

Wish i had picked up on it sooner! Thanks for all of your help, much appreciated!

·
1,211 Posts
Sorry to hear that, if its the backbox it will be hanging on by one rubber mount, it can be pulled or cut off and you should be able to drive the car (a little noisy though, especially changing gear), but drivable

·
Megger
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, the AA didnt even turn up after 1hr 20 mins but an ex-AA patrol man happened to be passing and using a wheel brace, we managed to get the rubber bracket off and put the back box in the boot and drove off! Result!

·
Registered
455 Posts
exhaust isnt the prob with mine, no holes anywhere that I can see, and it appears to be in good condition as well (nothing was picked up either on the mot a few weeks back). Tried covering the tailpipe as well but basically blew my hand off.
Only really used for long trips (100 miles per day to work and back, mostly motorway, occasional short journey to shops maybe once per week if that)

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Zakapior said:
Well, the AA didnt even turn up after 1hr 20 mins but an ex-AA patrol man happened to be passing and using a wheel brace, we managed to get the rubber bracket off and put the back box in the boot and drove off! Result!
Did you find the car any quicker with no box as some say that the back box is very restrictive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
just to share my experience same symptom on a 2.2tdci 2007 had the noise for 18 months and 2 mots mechanic thought it was the turbo took it to best turbos tividale -good place to know of if turbo issues- they found nothing.....2 days ago back box of the exhaust came away from the mid section pipe. Fixed today and guess what no whoosh!

·
dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and
3,290 Posts
I was just about to suggest an exhaust leak aha

·
Super Moderator
30,049 Posts
This thread is 4 years old.

·
3,290 Posts
HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
If I was the op, I'd probably be getting around to looking at it about now...

·
3,290 Posts
If I was the op, I'd probably be getting around to looking at it about now...
I bet you are the op just under a different name
;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts