Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Big Megger
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of getting new tyres for my Mondeo. The alloys are being refurbished at the moment.

I was considering getting the Uniroyal RS3 again, until I put them back on after taking the winters off.

The noise sounded like the wheel bearings were worn with a constant drone. Now the winters are back on the noise has gone completely, so Uniroyals are out of the window.

I wanted to keep it to around £100 a corner and two stood out in that price range- Bridgestone Turanza T005 and the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5.

I've had the Bridgestone Potenzas as OE tyres when the car was new but they seemed to tramline, but I was hoping things had improved since then.

The Goodyear on the other hand have always had good reviews and this new tyre has improved on an already good reputation.

What has really swung it for me was when I e-mailed the companies customer service to check how much tread is on the tyre.

The Bridgestone has 7.1mm and the Goodyear has 8.3mm, so it's Goodyear all the way for me.

The Bridgestone may wear better, but only time will tell.

The moral of the story - find out exactly how much tread you're getting on a new tyre, it could save you more money.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Maybe avoid the Bridgestones, I had tyre noise on my Mk3, though it was bearings untill the tyres were changed.

Last front tyres I had were Firestone, they were good for grip and quiet.Wear seemed good as well.

·
Big Megger
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe avoid the Bridgestones, I had tyre noise on my Mk3, though it was bearings untill the tyres were changed.

Last front tyres I had were Firestone, they were good for grip and quiet.Wear seemed good as well.
Hi Gary, i am avoiding the Bridgestones.

I don't know if you're aware, but Bridgestone own Firestone. :)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Funnily enough I had the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5's fitted to mine a few days ago to get rid of my horrendous Michelin PS3's.

Not given them too much grief but I will say in the wet, they are VERY confidence inspiring when it comes to grip, acceleration, handling and braking. Was surprised to see how many leptons per hour I was actually doing at one point :whistling:

Reactions: tellmah

·
Registered
150 Posts
I went for Hankook Ventus evo on my TXS,very quiet and grip well in dry and wet and as a bonus they have a massive rim protector.

·
Big Megger
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went for Hankook Ventus evo on my TXS,very quiet and grip well in dry and wet and as a bonus they have a massive rim protector.
Probably quite wrongly, i look at Hankook as being budget,but i will check them out. Incidentally the Goodyears also have a rim protector, which should help protect my refurbished alloys. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I fitted the S1 evo 2's,i think they are fitted as standard to several new car brands,def not a budget tyre.The rim protectors are much bigger that the ones i had on my Goodyear asymmetricals i had on my BMW 530i.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Probably quite wrongly, i look at Hankook as being budget,but i will check them out. Incidentally the Goodyears also have a rim protector, which should help protect my refurbished alloys. :)
I used to think the same but Hankook are (at least now) a mid range tyre with good reviews.

If you like to push the car then I'd say stick with the Goodyears :L

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Hankook/Ventus-S1-evo2.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goodyear/Eagle-F1-Asymmetric-5.htm

Reactions: tellmah
1 - 8 of 8 Posts