Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to the site today and looking for some much needed advice on my Mondeo please...

I've got an '07 plate Mondeo Titanium tdci, I've had this for 6 months. The problem i am having is...

On starting the glow plug light remains on....The car is sluggish, if i restart the car and the glow plug light goes out the car runs ok but is very smokey. When the Turbo cuts in the car goes sluggish again and struggles to go above 40mph.

We were advised to clean and blank off the EGR valve, the EGR was caked in carbon, we done this, it seemed ok for a few days, We bought a new EGR valve & fuel filter ,added in some special cleaner...still no better, glow light still staying on. We had the four glow plugs replaced, still the same. We have just had the Actuator checked to see if that is the problem before going down the route of getting a new turbo, ( we are trying all the cheaper options first) Apparently this is not faulty, i did read that the arm on the actuator has to move freely so i'm assuming this did. Next in line is to get the injectors tested i'm guessing. I know this 'Smokey' EGR valve thing seems to be a common problem, but can anyone please shed any light on my problematic Mondie. ...Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you haven't already another cheap option would be to fit a new fuel filter, I believe that Bosch, Delphi and Ford are the recommended brands.

Also might be worth investing in a code reader from Ebay, elm327 or f-super will plug into a laptop and give you access to stored fault codes as well as other information. both can be had for £10-£15.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
As boss126 says, getting a code reader would be a good step. Without one, you're really just guessing. Don't be tempted by a stand alone unit, many of these including expensive professional ones don't get all the tdci codes. If you don't have access to a windows laptop for a diagnostic cable to connect to, but do have either an android 2.3 up or iphone, these can also run a diagnostic program called forscan - android free atm, iphone version few pounds - if you get an elm327 bluetooth device. Buying usb for laptop, i'd suggest you Don't buy an f_super2 cable, original fsuper or elm327 cheaper and more consitently reliable.

If you change the fuel filter - a sensible move -, fit only genuine bosch/delphi/ford. Tip the contents of the old filter into a glass jar or over white paper in a tray and check for metallic particles - a magnet can help.
Keep the old filter until you've read the codes, if what you have is a fuel pressure related problem then split the old filter open and check that too. The metallic particles if present indicate a problem with the fuel pump, much less common on late models such as yours.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Sorry rereading this on a bigger device I can see you've already done some things, and also that I've duplicated Boss126's post!

Quick question - is the glowplug light on steadily or blinking?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HI thanks for the advice, yes changed fuel filter. The glow plug light flashes, sometimes i can start the car up and it will not be on, other times it will be on, there is no pattern, apart from the very first start up of the day, then it always stays on.

WE got the car back Tuesday night and for a while it was running nicely...short lived though. i will go down the route of getting a reader off ebay...Thanks for the replies and help, will keep you updated.

·
Super Moderator
30,326 Posts
You need to read the fault code. Got a laptop an F-Super off ebay is under £15

last time i looked. Well worth the money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts