Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything was working on Saturday, though I noticed the AC wasn't particularly cold.

Nothing worked on Monday. No fan, either on Auto or Manual, AC on or off.

Swapped the fuse and the relay, with no change.

I've had resistor packs fail on older Mondeos so thought I'd check that.

Got the glove box out and there's some funky new wiring between the large lilac strip wire in the large plug and the loom.

Looks like some one has added an inline fuse ? I see the lilac wire is a problem, but usually in the engine bay loom ?

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive exterior

The resistor pack module thingy looks ex scrappy to me and is dated 100114, whereas the car is a 2010 plate. I've had it since 01/2018.

Black Input device Automotive tire Peripheral Circuit component

Can it be tested out of the car or do I just swap it again ? Looks like they're about £20 on Ebay.

·
Super Moderator
31,435 Posts
You have it apart and for £20 I would just chuck another one in. When resistor packs fail the fan often
work on max only. Did it work on max or was it totally dead?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Totally dead. I checked the wiring and they've spliced the lilac wire into a blue one in the loom to the engine bay, so now I need to check all the fuses in case it's blown some random one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Changed the resistor pack - no change. Could also be faulty I suppose as it came from Ebay.
Checked all the fuses in the engine bay - none blown.
Checked the relay R5 on a bench power supply - works and contacts seem OK.

There's battery voltage on the funky wiring under the dash, which goes on and off with the ignition switch.

Only odd thing left is that there's no battery voltage on either side of F28, and with R5 removed, both sides of F28 seem to be grounded, as I can measure a voltage from battery positive to both sides of the fuse holder.

Done all I can so it's off to the local garage for them to sort out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts