Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Mondeo with the 1.6 Zetec engine. It makes a loud moaning/howling noise when started from cold. The noise goes away after
a couple of minutes as the engine warms up or 3/4 mile of driving and doesb't return until I restart from cold again.

It's coming from the fanbelt bottom pulleys
It's not fanbelt squeal even though I get that when I hit a large puddle of water.

Any ideas? Only happen in the winter time when its cold. 78,000 miles on the clock. Have tried spraying in some WD40 but it only works for short time.

Note: had same problem on 93 MK1 and fanbelt was changed on both mondeos.

·
MEG Corporal
801 Posts
if it squeals when you hit the water then the belt slips, so i would be looking for changing the tensioner and pulleys for the noise from cold start. have they been changed ever?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for reply SDR,

Nothing apart from a new fan belt has been changed in around that area since I purchased it 2 yrs ago. If its a case that I need to change the tensioner and bottom pulley, is it a big job and can any decent Mechanic do the job right or do I need the Ford garage to do the job???

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.