Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an annoying rattle for over a year now and searched everywhere inside and under, I have read everything that I could find on the internet but there is not much on the Mk5 Mondeo but some people said they had the noise in the n/s rear quarter light area, I thought it was the bearings in the seatbelt inertia so I gave up in the end and like most other people I turned up the stereo.

This last two weeks a louder noise was coming from the rear tailgate so for days I have had every interior trim off and sealed anything that could be the cause of the noise without success, today i removed the rear drivers side wheel to investigate under there around the suspension and I saw it straight away, the top bracket that hold the shock absorber was split open, it was not like that on previous inspection so it has suddenly got worse, also when I stripped out the shocker I found the top nut on the piston rod was loose, this was causing the noise to carry through the chassis up into the rear interior which was like a metallic clicking noise. The top of the bracket is just a cover to keep the water off the shocker so I tacked it back on after tightening the piston rod nut boxed it back up test drove her and perfect not a single noise just the purr of the engine. I'm so happy as it was the only thing that I didn't like about my car.
Gas Auto part Font Metal Composite material

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,460 Posts
Yes, I have heard of that top nut being loose before.
Good info for the forum, and for you

1 - 2 of 2 Posts