Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 Ford Focus 1.6 diesel estate has an annoying fault/problem or has it?

Recently I’ve been aware of a noise on acceleration which I initially thought was the exhaust blowing, especially as the car has done 103000 miles and still has the original exhaust. The noise peeks at around 1500rpm, particularly under load but is still noticeable when stationary, although the tickover is very quiet.

The car recently went in for a routine service so I mentioned this as potential problem but I was told there was no problem with the exhaust but the heat shield was loose and had been tightened. To be honest it did initially seem to sound better – sadly just wishful thinking!

A couple of weeks later the car went in for an MOT (different garage) and I expected a fail or at least an advisory – but no, it passed with no significant advisories. On collecting the car I was able to speak to the mechanic who performed the MOT and he agreed he had noticed it was a bit noisy but not an MOT matter so………… He suggested he thought it may be ‘sucking air’ somewhere?

I thought hmm’ yes, it does sound reminiscent of an engine running without an air filter so I checked everything around the air filter intake and the intercooler hoses but no luck.

The noise is not that loud, the wife hasn’t even noticed or mentioned it and the car performs well, plenty of power, and good fuel consumption, it’s just a bit annoying as I’m certain it used to be quieter.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Megger
2,888 Posts
Rattles? Good luck with finding the problem.

I have a kinda resonance rattle at certain rpm and loading. No idea what it is, but suspect something in the flexi - exhaust link.

I only suspect this becuase th heat sheild is generally clean, but adjacent to this junction, it is blackened. Will be cleaning the area, fitting a new gasket and monitor for more exhaust blackening

1 - 2 of 2 Posts