Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope that you had a nice Christmas ;)

I have a Mk3 2.0 Petrol (02 year) and find that the engine is pretty quiet until you start approaching 3000rpm. Close to this point and beyond, the engine starts to get really, really boomy.

I have only had the car just over a month and it was sat on the forecourt for a while. It was serviced about 6000 miles ago so isn't due for another one for some time. I've heard that it could possibly be either an exhaust resonance or the fuel injectors need cleaning. I have tried an off-the-shelf fuel injector cleaner (fuel additive) but this has made little difference :thumbdown:

I'd appreciate any help or suggestions as this is driving me mad :mad:

Keep up the good work on this cracking website!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Is it just boomy or rattley too? if so then id say you have some loose bafflers or your cat has become loose (cat filter not the pipe) also have you checked to see if there is a blow in the exhaust? best bet would be to stick it up on a ramp, bash the boxes (resonator/backbox and cat box) see if it rattles. If its a blow then turn the car on, put it back up the ramp, shove a cloth over the exhaust tail pipe and get someone to feel around the pipes all the way along the exhausts. I currently have a similar problem on my mk1 but its because i took the cat pipe off to do a decat and didnt replace the gasket seals.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.