Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mondeo 03.2.0 petrol. I've just bought the car, bought it with the EML light on. The man assured me it was just a sensor as it drives well. Today I've plugged it into my code reader but the port isn't working. Is there a fuse or a relay which controls the OBD port? My scanner is definitely working. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm not a mechanic but willing to give things a go as long as it's not too technical!

·
Super Moderator
30,347 Posts
Does it have cruise control? Does that work?

The Mondeo can be sometimes be fussy on the order you connect the box and software. I used to
forget all the time. Plug the box in do you get any lights on the box?

·
I Love Diesel
2,356 Posts
That's why the EML is on then. It might be worth watching this extremely useful video in its entirety, but if nothing else it shows you where the EGR valve is. You might find that someone has disconnected the electrical connector to disable it. Hope this is the right engine...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you very much,great video, will give that a go ,will update when I've done it,cheers.

·
I Love Diesel
2,356 Posts
It might be a good idea to clear the code (if you can), just in case it's an old one that is no longer relevant. It will come back if the issue still exists.

·
Super Moderator
30,347 Posts
Possibly got a blanking plate fitted? That could throw a fault code.

·
Hiding under a Rock
848 Posts
Hmmm I thought to myself I've not seen that thing next to the coil pack so had another look, looks like previous owner had replaced with a blanking plate...
Mine drives fine (has been for the past 3 years since purchase, so no complaints)

·
Hiding under a Rock
848 Posts
Hmmm I thought to myself I've not seen that thing next to the coil pack so had another look, looks like previous owner had replaced with a blanking plate...
Mine drives fine (has been for the past 3 years since purchase, so no complaints)
According to catcar, EGR or no EGR seemed to be both options thruout the Mk3 lifespan. Just have been to boneyards and all of them were without EGR valve. (about 10 were there, both pre and facelift)

·
Hiding under a Rock
848 Posts
According to catcar, EGR or no EGR seemed to be both options thruout the Mk3 lifespan. Just have been to boneyards and all of them were without EGR valve. (about 10 were there, both pre and facelift)
Craig is in NZ but his car is a Singapore import (A bit unusual. I've seen a Japanese import at a boneyard, but mostly Mk3 were sold by the local dealers as NZ new and applicable specs), which is probably why it has EGR recirc valve (as do most of you guys in the UK, I'm guessing). I don't believe NZ new cars have them. We are super lax about emission here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've cleared code,but comes back on when switch off and back on again,haven't had a look yet,a bit cold.didnt realise these got dirty thought it was only the diesels.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update,egr valve plug as been unplugged, plugged it back in,eml light as now gone out,seems to be running ok,is there an additive I can put in to help clean the valve and help engine to run better,car was previously stood for 6 months.recently had mot to put back on road,i suspect took plug off egr to get through emissions, but doesnt smoke ,seems normal to me.any advice greatly appreciated, thank you.

·
I Love Diesel
2,356 Posts
Wynns do petrol and diesel egr cleaners. I've never actually used one, but there's plenty reviews out there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts