Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Glen
4,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now the cold mornings are well set in I have been getting some funny things happening with the temp guage reading...

it starts to warm up (after have NO power at all for about a minute after starting...) then the temp guage will just pass the second line on the guage (the one between cold and normal) then next time i look it has gone down!?

it then warms up normally and is OK.

another thing that might be related is that I am not sure if I am losing small amounts of coolant (about a pit in a month, perhaps) although I am not too sure about that one, can't remember f i broke the rules and filled it up when warm or not.

Any Ideas?

·
Administrator
13,790 Posts
Nothing to worry about, it shows you your thermostat is working correctly! Its a closed circuit (ie, no radiator) to start with so warms up quickly, when it hits 96*C (IIRC) the stat opens and the radiator gets used. With the lower outside temperature the water sat in there has a greater cooling effect when it merges with the hot water which is why the gauge shows a drop until that water also reaches engine temperate. ;)

·
Glen
4,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
phew!

is it normal for the engine to rev really slowly and have no power low down from cold? i try to avoid spooling the turbo until i see the temp guage start to move!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
rainbowcar said:
is it normal for the engine to rev really slowly and have no power low down from cold? i try to avoid spooling the turbo until i see the temp guage start to move!
I'm pretty sure it's not - the performance on mine doesn't seem to be affected by the position of the temperature guage. If you're not using the turbo, then that might explain why you have no power ;)

Chris

·
MEG Corporal
726 Posts
rainbowcar said:
then the temp guage will just pass the second line on the guage (the one between cold and normal) then next time i look it has gone down!?
I don't think that is right at all. I had several different cars/engine types over the years and I have never seen this effect. I think you thermostat is faulty.

Unless you have a completely old fashioned thermostat fitted, they are supposed to be a two stage device. That way it slowly bleeds the cold water from the radiator into the closed system. This is to hold normal temperature and prevent thermal shock. The way it is working at the moment sounds like the first stage is jammed so its flooding the cold water straight in.

·
Glen
4,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
performance wise, perhaps my glow plugs are getting ready for replacement, that might explain why it feels very groggy from flat cold?

I'll wait and see with the temp guage thing, I'm a 'fix it when it breaks' kind of guy (with RAC cover!) so I'll just see if it makes it through winter without letting me down!

·
MEG Corporal
1,133 Posts
rainbowcar said:
phew!

Is it a 1.8TD? Thinking back to 1995 when I had mine it used to be down on power for the first couple of miles in cold weather.

Cheers
Lee

·
Administrator
13,790 Posts
It bleeds in to some extent but there will still be a significant difference when it fully opens, my 1.6 did this and the V6 and the TDCi mondeo and now the TDCi Focus.... maybe you aren't as observant as us as its quick :whistling: :tongue:

·
Glen
4,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no, its not a 1.8TD its the 115 TDDi... p'raps the same thing though? this has been happening below about 5 degrees, it was 8 today and it was much better so I am opting for the glow plugs... £9.99 each! best to refit them all i guess?

as for temp thing, it seems less that it happens at a certain temperature than after a certain amount of time? if that helps? :(

·
Administrator
13,790 Posts
TdciDick said:
Mirez said:
maybe you aren't as observant as us as its quick :whistling: :tongue:
Hey, you just might be right, or maybe I'm looking at the fuel gauge and maistaking that for temp. :gayfight:
stranger things have happened.... look at scoff! :gayfight: :whistling: :beer:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.