Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Big Megger
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After buying a 4.5 litre tub of Castrol GTD Magnatec I was told by a friend that using fully synthetic oil in a car which has been using mineral oil will give no advantage unless the engine is flushed and all filters etc are replaced with new. He says this is because fully synthetic oil does not mix with mineral oil.

How true is this? Would there be any adverse affects or would it just mean that the fully synthetic oil will not perform as well as it should?

I should mention that because I have owned the car for a short amount of time I don't know what oil has been going into it on the services or what it's currently running on.

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
there maybe a grain of truth in what he says , at the factory where i work we had a problem with a lube system that needed to be totally emptied out before we could put fully synthetic oil in , however , if you get the engine good and hot and drain the oil out and renew the filter i cant see you having a problem , and then again i am sure someone will come along and say i am talking :BEEP: :D :D :D

·
Big Megger
300 Posts
You can mix a semi synthetic oil with either fully synthetic or mineral, unfortunatly you cant mix fully synthetic with mineral.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts