Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Megger
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just taken the filter base off (for the first time) to replace the cartridge. In the box there are 2 "o" rings, I can see the large one is used to seal the threads but where does the small one go?

Thanks.

·
Big Megger
372 Posts
The large one i put on the sump plug, but it was the wrong size and caused the plug to leak. The plug does have a seal in the head of the bolt, which is not possibly to replace. The only way i could stop the plug from leaking again was to renew it! It only cost a few quid from ford.

The mondeo does use 2 different sizes of sump plug (unsure why), so they give u an o ring for either size. Just bin them, refit the plug with the same seal, and if it leaks then get a new plug from ford :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
19,696 Posts
if its a motocraft/ford oil filter then the 2 o-rings are for the oil filter base, big one for the main housing itself like you say & if you look in the middle of the filter base from the underside/outside there is a small metal bit, this unscrews & the small o-ring fits on there :L

its the drain plug o-ring and its fiddly to change with the metal being soft & oily so it may not be worth the effort unless it starts weeping oil from that plug, last time i actually usd that plug to drain the oil from the filter it did not drain much & i still got covered when i removed the rest of the filter :}

i never got any sump plug rings with the oil filter i bought, just the 2 oil filter related ones but the info on sump plugs is bang on as the computer insisted my mota had one type of sump plug and the parts bloke got a little arsy about it when i told him thats nothing like what i removed from my mota ( it was long & thin that he handed me & the one on my mota was shorter & chunky ) took great pleasure in prooving him & his computer wrong when i went back with my old sump plug after doing the oil change with the sump plug i picked from the range of sump plugs he brought out in the end :)

·
Megger
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.

Long sump plug here to

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.