Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Mk4.5 2011 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Estate, business edition.
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on how to get the oil filter off my 2011 2.0TDCI?

I have the 27mm socket...but can't get to the bloomon thing!! It appears to also be jolly tight!

I'm thinking a new swan neck 27mm spanner will do the trick?

Or am I missing something obvious? There's various "bits of engine" preventing straight forward access. Or...does that bits of engine need removal!? :oops:

Attachments

Super Moderator
Long extension on your socket/ratchet so you can get a good grip onto it. I would use enough to get the ratchet above the engine.

If you have a good grip but its not budging try warming the car and tapping the filter housing with a small mallet. Not too hard
you only want to shock it a little.

Make sure you lubricate the seal when refitting, should help prevent this in the future.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks purple...buy that's just the issue...I can't access from above!

Do I need to remove..whatever it is that sits above it? It looks like some plastic that is part of...erm, I don't know...

I can just get the socket on, by bending my hand under...there's not even room to put the wrench on top of it!

I guess I could see if I can get an extension to come through where the dipstick tube is, possibly.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I Love Diesel
Frequently bought together with the filter housing. There's a surprise.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you twincarbs...my special spanner is delivered today!

Out of interest, to change just the oil filter, do I need to drain the sump? There's no "pressure" in the system is there so oil won't force out when I change the filter, will it?

Registered
There's no reason to in terms of risk of leak, but I'm not sure why you would change the filter but not oil.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's no reason to in terms of risk of leak, but I'm not sure why you would change the filter but not oil.
Thanks SteveyG...agreed.

I drained and changed the oil no problem yesterday...but when I came to remove the filter I got stumped...as I couldn't get it off!

I have fresh oil in now, but hope to get the filter changed later...when my "wrench around corners" spanner turns up and I can actually then get to the filter! I just wanted to check that there is no oil pressure in the system when I come to do this filter change...

Clever Clauggs
Shouldn't be oil pressure otherwise when checking oil with dipstick,which is at similar height as oil filter, would be a release of pressure no??
As with petrol engines the oil filter should have a dribble amount as most oil is drained down to the sump.

Registered
Hand Camera lens Camera accessory Cameras & optics Grass

I unscrew the lid until the slots appear and leave it to drain for 10 minutes
and put a towel below the area along the path where the lid will be removed.
Do not overtighten when installing: 15Nm max.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you! Tool arrived. Made the job totally easy and filter changed and oil topped up within 10 minutes.

Reactions: TreborB
1 - 12 of 12 Posts