Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please help?
Cam belt went before xmas on my mk2 1.8, valves etc had to be replaced in the garage, when it came back it started leaking oil quite quickly at the back of the engine - new oil pressure switch was fitted and garage said there was a bit too much oil in so they drained some out (my mistake for checking oil level not on flat ground) they said it will take quite a few miles for it to clear.

I have been getting lots of smoke (not sure if it white or blue)out of the exhaust when cold, when stationary the car smells of burning oil but was like that since new valves.

The past few days it seems to be eating oil but no leaks that I can see.

Today the engine has started vibrating quite badly.
Any ideas? I am dreading another big garage bill.

Is it likely that the few miles with excess oil have done big damage? :sad:
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Jessica

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ok, when they replaced the valves, did they skim the head/block or just replace the vavles? some cheap crappy places just replace the valves and the rest of the stuff to do with a cam belt going and leave it at that, the problem is that the head could of been cracked in the process or warped too, what they should of done is this:
strip the head, remove the head from the block, replaced all valves and seals, lapped valves in, skimmed the head, pressure tested the head, replaced all gasket seals, fit heat tabs (some places dont, but its handy to do so for warranty reasons) and advised you to run the engine in for 600 miles, then get the oil changed.

if they havent done some of that work above, then thats more than likely the problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply - they said they had skimmed the head and they replaced all the gaskets, I guess if they did miss replacing something that they will say it was my fault for adding too much oil.

·
MEG Corporal
866 Posts
I don't think your overfilling will have anything to do with your problems. It seems likely from what you have said that the valve guides and valve stem seals may be damaged.

The classic sign of oil leaking past the valve stems is smoke on start up which lessens when the engine has been running a while.

Its often better to replace the entire head (from a breaker) than to just replace the valves.

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
is there any oil showing in the expansion tank or any white gunge on the oil filler cap :sad:

·
MEG Corporal
866 Posts
leyther said:
no - I checked them, is that good or bad?
That's good because oil in the coolant or white mayo in the oil means a head gasket failure. I think that would have been unlikely in your case anyway.

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
which o ring seals ?????

·
MEG Corporal
866 Posts
I would think its the valve stem seals.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I cant remember exactly which seals he said had gone - I thought he said the o ring ones.
When they did the initial repair they said that the engine wasnt at full pressure as the bit that goes over the top of the valve was missing on one valve.

I am presuming that the oil pressure switch (cost us £20) went afterwards due to not being used to the engine runing at full pressure so maybe the seal problem is the same.

The chap said that there was no way of knowing that the seals needing replacing or they would of done them and they did the job as cheap as possible for us - so we cant really blame them.

The engine is running quite smooth after they put the additive in but is still billowing smoke out when cold so it does need repairing fairly soon so I am going looking at a MK1 1.8TD tomorrow as a cheap runaround and I think that I will have a go at stripping the engine down myself so it will take a while as I am a novice but have done basic repairs, I cant really justify spending another £350 on the seals.

·
MEG Corporal
866 Posts
The valve stem seals would only have cost a couple of quid for a set. There isn't really an excuse for not changing them.

With these engines, its usually cheaper to fit a second hand head when you suffer a belt failure.

·
Registered
219 Posts
When the head goes its standard procedure to buy most parts new and the ones that can be repaired, then repair them, they may have done it cheap as poss for you but that statement is self explanetory, they have clearly cut corners to reduce costs, gaskets and seals are always supposed to be replaced, and nearly all workshops i know or have dealt with dont cut corners around those, even if they look like they could go a few thousand more miles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Grrrrrrr, It has been back to the garage and they stripped it down again and replaced all the seals, just rang to see if it ready + they said it is still putting smoke out of the exhaust so they will see what it is like in the morning.

Is there any other expaination for the smoke or could it just be residual oil that needs to be burnt off?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.