Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am having that well documented issue with the cruise control buttons on my Mk4. It started about a year ago with a random intermittent failure which became more common as time went on. Then back at the start of summer it was hardly working at all. I tried to spray in the hole trick, no luck. Then I had a mechanic friend of mine take the steering wheel apart and we cleaned the contact. The cruise control instantly worked and I was overjoyed to have it back for the motorway journeys.

Now fast forward a few months and we are back to square one. Mashing the buttons in hope it will come to life. I am now considering getting buttons from ebay second hand and replacing them completely. Has anyone went this route? Did the new ones work, or did it result in the same behaviour. My fear is that 2nd hand buttons from a breakers will probably be in just as bad state.

Any tips?

·
Registered
236 Posts
How well did your mechanic clean the contacts?
I used a fine grit wet and dry paper on mine. Not had any problems since

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All we did was blast the contacts with contact cleaner. Take it that probably was not enough?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is this problem definitely caused by the buttons? From my recent observations I think not.

I found a random post on here saying to adjust the steering column and that should bring it back to life. I was very sceptical but tried, and it instantly worked. I noticed that the 'can' button was not responding though, so another up down in out of the column and bingo, everything is functioning perfect.

It the contact issue really the sole cause, or is there some loose connecter within the wheel? When I took my wheel apart and cleaned the buttons the first time, did the actually cleaning do nothing, but by adjusting the column this was the actual fix, unbeknown at the time?

Quite interesting and makes me want to take it apart and clean any wire connections.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I suppose it really depends on the nature of the fault.
With mine, once the cruise control system was swtiched on (with left hand buttons) I found that pressing the + or - buttons would result in the system switching off again. Sometimes it might engage, but pressing again to adjust speed would again deactivate the system.

When fault finding, you have to look at what changes have occured. This is why I found it pretty easy to diagnose the problem with my system.
Far too many people, when faced with a problem like this, want to pull a whole system apart and consider all the possibilities when the answer can be staring you in the face. Some people can struggle to accept that something might be resolved with such a simple fix and that there must be more to it than simply servicing one component.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts