Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I would love to help you...but I can't fix stu
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a switch in Carbon Fiber Vinyl. tinkering with the idea of the whole dash in this. Opinions???

Attachments

·
MEG's resident oven
11,381 Posts
looks ok but wil be very very fiddly getting the curves done correctly in vinyl wont it?

·
at Vanishing Point....
3,994 Posts
You've got more patients than me. And I'm pretty patient lol

Looks good. I'd say go for it and do all the dash panels :L :first:

·
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The biggest key point to it is to use some water with a bit of washing soap in it. This keeps it from setting directly on contact. It gives you a bit of time to set it right. Also, a hair dryer or heat gun does wonders to soften the vinyl and give it a bit of stretch. As for working with it, as long as you go slowly, the curves aren't that big of a problem.
Cheers,

·
MEG Admiral
2,642 Posts
i did a bike for someone a couple of years ago, and i used a scalpel as opposed to stanley knife and it was easier to cut because you have more control over it, you can get them off ebay for about £4 delivered for 10, but if you only want 1 pt me your addy and ill send ya one :L

·
MEG Corporal
674 Posts
Been thinking of doing the same thing when I spotted a carbon effect dash kit on ebay. It appears to be pre-cut vinyl, possibly a bit thicker. It's only for the lower half though.

·
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another thing with it, the part has to be completely clean. So quite a good couple of rubs with some alcohol and presto this stuff sticks like crazy glue.

·
Im Back !!!!
3,483 Posts
Looks good on one switch, but i think it might be a tad overkill if you do the whole dash with it.

Couldnt you just do all the removable switches rather than all the surrounds.

·
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I have second complete set of panels so I think that i am going to give it a try and see how it looks.

·
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is the next bit with the vinyl on. Will hopefully get it in the car tomorrow for shots and opinions.
Cheers,

Attachments

·
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
saw something similar to that and got my idea from it.

·
I did the pics
12,043 Posts
TheDude said:
Looking good m8 :)

Anybody ever seen one of these in a car?:

Dash kit
Yes, and they look terible fitted. They're too stiff (ooeer) and dont bend round the curves. Ford actuall do a kit like that for wood effect! It's pants. Much better to do the vinyl. I trimmed the ash tray in my old Mk2 in carbon fibre effect vinyl to match the ST200 speedo surround and door inserts

Attachments

·
MEG Admiral
2,554 Posts
looks good phil :L

·
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
First piece installed. Have changed my mind and now going to leave the walnut dash bit in and do the rest in the vinyl. A bit of half and half.
Cheers,

Attachments

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
TheDude said:
Looking good m8 :)

Anybody ever seen one of these in a car?:

Dash kit
certainly have m8, previous owner of my last done up car bought a set and fitted himself..it looks a bit tacky (doesnt even try to cover the whole panel..)and peels off after a while...
if you had the patience to cover the whole thing it might look better..
not worth £103.00 :headshake:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts