Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok not a huge performance mod, but when you'r looking to extract as much as possible relativily reliably.
whats you guys thought on heat wraping the exhaust, praticularly in the confined space, such as the mg'f rear engine layout for example?

·
MEG Corporal
674 Posts
I was tempted to do this to the exhaust manifold to find out if it would make a difference but never got round to it. Some claim they become water traps as condensation may build up which increases the chance of rust etc, sceptics.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Basically exhaust gases move faster when there hotter and by kepping the manifold at a high temperature and not letting the gases cool down you encourage them to exit the system faster, which is always a good thing. They can also help to reduce underbonnet temps, which in a confined space is definalty a good thing.
Its the sort of mod, that some will swear by, others are not so convinced and some will not touch as they've heard it can rot through the manifolds a lot quicker than they should.
I'd say give it a go, I'm going to put some on my orion when I get s tubular manifold, and apparently you can get tit quite cheap from ebay USA

·
Window licking mong
39,488 Posts
i know someone who ruined a tubular manifold by using this stuff, it kept too much heat in the metal so damaged it that way, and the damp made it rot big time.

your best off using a heat shield.

·
Registered
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi Phil long time no hear, hows the beast goin?

how much off the manifold did he wrap? the primarys, secondary's the downtube?

the f has heat shield in manifold areas, and was he using a steel or stainless steel mani?

in the past ive wrapped the first inch off the primarys, then the main pipe back the back off the car.

the main thing im doing with it is some cabling and a few off the main heat sock areas on the intake ares.

·
Window licking mong
39,488 Posts
the beasty is doing fine but is a bit tatty from a rough winter so its getting the bodywork done next week

AFAIK he heat wrapped the whole header.

general consensus is that ceramic coated headers and/or heat shields is better if your planning on keeping the headers a long time for everyday use. for race or rally they could be heat wrapped because you could remove it re-do it before/after each race of whatever.

·
Ex-Ford owner
852 Posts
I have heat-wrapped my MSDS Y-pipe, and coated with the spray that motorsportworld also sell, which seals the wrap to stop moisture absorption.

I would have wrapped the headers too, but MSDS specifically do not do this.

I haven't really noticed any difference to be honest!

·
Registered
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nah you wouldnt see a performance gain there the gases would have cooled to much, before getting to the heat wrap.

wraping the headers does improve power, but does have a few foors on road cars. i wont be doing the header, just the downpipes and bit that runs under the car to stop heat soak. im not after the perfomance bennifits just a cooler engine bay.

if sealed heat wrap should actualy let moisture in.

the main thing i'll be doing in take run to prevent heat soak into the inlet manifold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts