Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Resident Wrestling Legend
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might need to get a roof box but with such a bewildering array of bars to choose from, which ones look the best and, more importantly, are the best for economy?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
29,803 Posts
Your unlikely to see any difference between the square roofbars and the oval ones.

In a wind tunnel they maybe able to test the drag down to many decimal places but

in the real world doing 1mph less when fitted probably far outweighs any potential

fuel saving from teh bars themselves.

With a roofbox though i did notice a drop in my average mpg compared to not using the

box. I did the same journey each year Midlands to Cornwall and used a fair bit more

fuel with the wide roofbox fitted.

Narrow styles maybe better, but speed will play a big part in that. Sticking to 60mph

instead of 70 could see a considerable fuel saving.

·
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had two bikes on the back
65/70 mph did 28mpg
On the way back at 60/65mph it was 30mpg
Without the bikes at 65/70 it's normally 36mpg so that's a big difference

·
Super Moderator
29,803 Posts
With the MK3's i found 6th gear didnt really show much improvement until close to 70mph.

Below 60mph 6th gear was certainly worse though.

When towing the caravan the speed makes a huge difference. Usually i get around 32mpg

when towing. Took the FIL with us omce and he kept moaning if we went over 50mph,

maybe he thought his lungs would explode or something...

Spent most of the journey around 56mph following lorries and not attempting to overtake

and that was a big difference 39mpg.

·
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I had my Sierra, with the extra long 5th gear (0.75:1) and extra long diff (4.13:1) and bigger tyres (215/45/17) I was slip streaming a lorry all the way home and got 132 miles out of just over 8 litres of fuel
But even doing 70/80 plus 20 miles of town it did 420 miles on 38 litres so I would love to have that sort of economy again

Although I did also have a 350 bhp twin turbo Sierra at the same time that did, at best, 11mpg and, at worst, 1mpg so swings and roundabouts lol

·
Vendor
11 Posts
At MicksGarage.com we offer Roof Boxes in a range of styles and sizes to suit all budgets - from some of the world's best brands such as: Thule G3 Mont-Blanc Junior All our roof boxes are easy to fit and remove without the use of any tools.

As with all roof boxes you will need a set of Roof Bars so you can attach the box to your vehicle.

Find the correct set of roof bars and roof box for your vehicle selecting its make and model.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts