Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I Love Diesel
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just noticed this and then realised just what it is and how rare they are now! Satnav seems to be working ok and I can't see any sign of water getting into the car. I wonder if it can be saved... Automotive tire Gesture Tree Wood Liquid

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Hi

If still finding satellites you may be in time to seal up and repai.

Peter

Reactions: dojj

·
I Love Diesel
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I haven't yet checked if the broken bits can be pressed/glued together, but I do have some black, waterproof sealant I could use to fill the gaps if necessary. I'll try it when things dry out a bit.

·
Registered
293 Posts
whats to stop you ripping the GPS antenna out and putting it behind the dash near the screen and fitting a stock antenna mount to the roof?
Thats what i would do if i had one of those.
Do you actually use GPS on your headunit? I dont have a ford one, its a Sony aftermarket touchscreen with GPS but the low down location of the headunit in the Mk3 makes it so hard to use/dangerous to look at that i dont use the GPS and still use my phone on the screen mount for navigation!

·
I Love Diesel
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
whats to stop you ripping the GPS antenna out and putting it behind the dash near the screen and fitting a stock antenna mount to the roof?
Thats what i would do if i had one of those.
Hi.

That's worth looking into, but I don't know how this all connects together. On Catcar it looks like the radio aerial and sat-nav antenna cables are an integrated cable with a multi-plug that connects to the HU, so there's a problem straight away. In any case, I don't expect the reception will be as good as having the antenna on the roof, outside the car.
Do you actually use GPS on your headunit? I dont have a ford one, its a Sony aftermarket touchscreen with GPS but the low down location of the headunit in the Mk3 makes it so hard to use/dangerous to look at that i dont use the GPS and still use my phone on the screen mount for navigation!
I've had this car just over a month and I've not been anywhere in it yet that I don't know how to get to anyway. So no, I haven't really used the sat-nav in anger yet. It's not in the best position, is it, but it could come in useful if I were to get diverted down some farm track in the middle of nowhere and get lost (it's not unusual where I live). Besides that, I just like things to work the way they should.

The sat-nav is actually still working fine, despite how that antenna looks. I will probably have a go at sealing up the cracks if it ever stops raining, blowing a gale and there is daylight (all at the same time).

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hi.

That's worth looking into, but I don't know how this all connects together. On Catcar it looks like the radio aerial and sat-nav antenna cables are an integrated cable with a multi-plug that connects to the HU, so there's a problem straight away. In any case, I don't expect the reception will be as good as having the antenna on the roof, outside the car.

I've had this car just over a month and I've not been anywhere in it yet that I don't know how to get to anyway. So no, I haven't really used the sat-nav in anger yet. It's not in the best position, is it, but it could come in useful if I were to get diverted down some farm track in the middle of nowhere and get lost (it's not unusual where I live). Besides that, I just like things to work the way they should.

The sat-nav is actually still working fine, despite how that antenna looks. I will probably have a go at sealing up the cracks if it ever stops raining, blowing a gale and there is daylight (all at the same time).
if the headunit was in the top of the dash it would be great but it really is useless for satnav down by the gearstick and i have disconnected the GPS receiver from my headhunt to prevent Tom Tom booting on startup as it slowed the headunits overall boot time but ive left everything in place as it would get me out of trouble should i find myself in a no phone situation.

I tried using the navigation on my headunit but it takes your eyes so far away from the road that its dangerous, mine interrupts my music non stop as well which also drove me nuts so that was another nail in its coffin, dont mess with my music lol.

The navigation software i use on my phone is free but a decent package which can use either downloaded Open street maps packs which are free or paid TomTom maps. Its Called Navigator on the Play Store, unsure if its on ios as well.

·
Super Moderator
30,338 Posts
I use HERE WeGo It was originally the Nokia Ovi Maps. It was an excellent in the days before large touch
screen phones. (Navteq before that?)

Used Waze for a while also but not installed that for a few years.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I use HERE WeGo It was originally the Nokia Ovi Maps. It was an excellent in the days before large touch
screen phones. (Navteq before that?)

Used Waze for a while also but not installed that for a few years.
just looked up Here wego but it wont let me download it, ill have to search for an APK and sideload it to try it.

·
Super Moderator
30,338 Posts
Strange, I have used it for years so should be available on most android builds.

What version do you have?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Strange, I have used it for years so should be available on most android builds.

What version do you have?
Marshmellow.

I get it a lot across the multiple devices i own, some or sometimes even all will be flagged as incompatible with an app but i have yet to come across an app which wont run when i side load an APK.

I have just tried another identical device running lollipop and that is blocked as are the two identical tablets i own which are running different android versions from each other.

I think its rarely to do with the version of android your sporting and actually that there is a list of compatible 'devices' created by the developer and if your device isnt on that list then your blocked from downloading it even though it is more than capable of running it.

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,193 Posts
Only just noticed this thread.

The original mast bases can still sometimes be found if you search for them as a Freelander mast base, but there are also aftermarket covers that just fit over the top of the base.

Have a look online for Ford Focus arias base covers, or some similar search term.

Reactions: twincarbs

·
13,193 Posts
Here is one example of a cover, I’ve seen them in various colours or carbon effect.

Light Product Font Input device Gadget

·
I Love Diesel
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Only just noticed this thread.

The original mast bases can still sometimes be found if you search for them as a Freelander mast base, but there are also aftermarket covers that just fit over the top of the base.

Have a look online for Ford Focus arias base covers, or some similar search term.
Excellent, thank you!

·
Super Moderator
30,338 Posts
I saw the pictures in Rays post and was about to click them before spotting they were sponsored
links on ebay.. Think I am losing it.. :eek:)

·
I Love Diesel
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just knowing they are the same as the Focus changes everything, especially when sellers don't use the part number.

·
13,193 Posts
Just knowing they are the same as the Focus changes everything, especially when sellers don't use the part number.
The last one I bought was from a Landy dealer.
The LR part number is: XUC000030, but that is the mobile phone aerial base.

It’s worth noting Ford sell two identical looking bases. The GPS one, and the mobile phone one.

·
13,193 Posts
Your mast is split too.
I refurbed mine with black heatshrink.
It looked as good as new after :)
Office supplies Writing implement Font Wood Tints and shades

1 - 17 of 17 Posts