Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

Got this error on my Mondeo mk4.5 and not a lot to be found accept de dpf codes:

Make:Ford
Code: P269B
Definition:Exhaust Aftertreatment Glow Plug Control Circuit/Open
Description:This DTC sets when the PCM detects an open on the VGPRC circuit.Cause:
  • VGPRC circuit open
  • Damaged fuel vaporizer system glow plug relay
So, what I could determine is that the glow plug was broken and for that you needed to exchange the whole diesel vaporizer unit. Doing research it was obvious the nut is very hard to loosen up. The vaporizer itself was not clocked up at all

So, I wanted to share how I loosened up the nut.
I sprayed it with WD40 2 days before.
II placed my car on some wooden beams so i could get underneath, so not jacked up but standing on all 4 wheels.

You then need a very tight 22 spanner like in the picture below and make a lever. Make sure the spanner fits tight around the nut. The normal spanner above was too loose and caused it to slip around the nut.

Tool Asphalt Font Road surface Office supplies

I then placed this like in the picture below while my son with jacking it up.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Fender Gas

Make sure your spanner is fully fitted around the nut of the diesel vaporizer and it has already the tension of jacking it up.

I then opened the front door (on the left) en jumped on the side of the car. This force caused the nut to loosen immidiatly with below as a result ;-) This is why the car needs to stand on the wheels.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Vehicle

For the electrical plug: You need to press behind this opening instead of pushing a screwdriver in
Fuel line: You need to press on both sides to get the fuel line loose.

Hope it may help someone.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Great job, common issue on the MK4.5, I'd just use a flare nut wrench and get a proper wrench extender for leverage, failing that, cut the injector right before the threads and use a normal hex socket on it.

Nevertheless well done and hope it sorted your issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never knew a flare nut wrench existed, so thanks for the tip.

As it turns out, it seems the glow plug is still functioning; it warms up when connected to 12 Volt. Resistance is 1.5 Ohms, checked all the fuzes (F2, F6, F9) and relays (R4),no problem with it.

The vaporizer was clean, not blocked at all, so what could be it?
Did replace the part to be sure, but error keeps on coming back.
I dont have the equipent to run a regen or test the fuel pump. Car runs fine, so really have no clue. Took it to a garage today, so hopefully they can do some more tests. Could it be the PCM? I did find more posts of people having the same error despite replacing the part, but the soluton was never given.

·
MEG Corporal
2,820 Posts
check the wiring on the car side before the plug...someone posted previously that they found a broken wire where it was rubbing agaist something.

My car was giving the open circuit error back in Feb/March time, I checked all the wiring etc and the vaporiser was not bloked (blew down the fule line), but eventually it just fixed itself. I bought another unit just in case but since then it's been fine. I do wonder if it's a combination of the damp and the car not being used as much as it used to due to working from home 4 days a week now since Covid.

Reactions: Smaschie

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Update: Garage measured a lot, but could not solve it. I did myself a lot of research today and have it, hopefully figured out.

I came across this video today
where the mechanic is showing wiring diagrams of a Ford Transit and he names the app. So I am checking this app, selecting Mondeo, but I cannot find anything about this. So, I am checking the Ford Transit wiring diagram as he does in the video, because, well, the system is (almost) the same.

So image1: Fuse F9 protects the Vaporizer Fuel Pump and the Vaporizer Glow Plug Relay. The PCM grounds both to earth. But, there is small running voltage as you can see in the video, so, this can measured on one of the pins of fuse 9 and on pin 1 (and maybe pin 2?) of the Vaporizer Glow Plug Relay. Below picture is from a Ford Transit, not Mondeo, but it basically is the same, in general. i added the Mondeo Fuse numbers.
Rectangle Slope Line Font Parallel

So when I follow D I get to below picture:

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

So it seems that if Relay 4 is not enabled, the PCM sends from the FVGPRM (VGPRM = Vaporizer Glow Plug Relay Monitoring,) a current to check the Glow Plug for short circuit or open circuit (hence the Fuse F2) I think this is the famous P269F Exhaust aftertreatment glow plug circuit open

My error says P269B. I checked the "VGPRC circuit open" of the error frase in Google and came to this PDF: https://www.powerstroke.org/attachments/2020-diesel-pc_ed-pdf.768557
When I checked this document I found the VGPRC which is actually the wire between R4 pin 2 and pin 28 on the PCM-T plug. (The relay in a Mk4.5 Mondeo does not have a pin 4 btw) This document also contains troubleshooting procedures starting at RL and I recommend to read them
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Slope

Rectangle Font Parallel Diagram Circle

So my guess is that this wire is broken somewhere.

I then found this video of this mechanic
(I wish I could speak English like that, love the accent) who checks the cables (for another reason) you I will go and check this tomorrow, but I am pretty sure it must be there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So this was the cause. The airfilterhouse was on the wires to the PCM. Probably after exchanging the battery?

Automotive tire Tread Tints and shades Wood Automotive wheel system

Plenty of movies on how to remove the airfilter house (Check for battery replacement)

Hand Eye Leg Eyelash Human body

Fish Animal product Feather Hood Electric blue

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

Just for testing purposes:
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive fuel system

So, started the car, cleared all faults, let the engine run, checked all faults and it came backwith only the airflow sensor, since it is disconnected...
Now to permantly fix this wire. Color code was actually white redisch

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, just soldered everything, remember to use heatshrink. I used this vulcanic tape to wrap the whole harness in to prevent moist ingress. Placed the air filter and had to push the harness out of the way otherwise will have the same problem in a year or so. Took it for a drive and as soon as coolant reached 75 degrees and driving on a 50mph road I could feel the DPF renegeration starting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts