Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford Mondeo MK4 2011 titanium 2.0tdi 140ps mapped upto 150/163? Ford scan..mod 150/350
Seems some severe wet weather shorted my vaporisor circuit.
Ive checked fuses and swapped relay no4 no avail.
Potentially cable has just unplugged a little or has water ingress or more than likely the glow plug has shorted.
My current spot levels are upto 80%
From past history when I got the car 12 months ago I quickly learned that the dpf vaporisor was not functioning properly with p244c code but was partially getting upto 600 degrees with very enthusiastic driving but would ultimately fail regen at that time until I replaced it. The soot levels also at that time were at 300% for how long I don't know.
So all I'm hoping for is time to o get this sorted but with the unit not functioning at all Im thinking that it's going to block and quicker but how long is the question 1k miles 2 or 3? Or less even...

Anyone have any experiences of a failed vaporisor and how long they drove it like that until the dpf was completely kaput...

Thanks for any replies

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you unplug the relay, R4, then you will be able to test the vapouriser resistance. I’d be surprised if it’s shorted as that would have caused a fuse to blow (have you checked?) if it’s become unplugged/poor connection or even gone open circuit you should be able to see that with your meter. Don’t forget that you are checking continuity to vehicle ground - so only one of the relay contacts needs to be connected to your meter. The other connections to the relay are +12 supply, ground for the relay coil and control- to the relay coil. It’s Fuse 6, and pin 5 on the relay that you need to be testing. Good luck & let us know how you get on 👍

·
Registered
429 Posts
Test ohms pin 5 to ground, open circuit as same from plug underneath seems p269f is dead glow plug, strangely no blown fuse...
Not really - if an electrical component gets a break in its wiring it will simply go open circuit & I think this has happened here for whatever reason. What mileage has the car done? The vaporiser units do eventually wear out so that’s the most likely thing that’s happened. Keep us posted. Did you see my post on a DPF regen indicator? It would be an ideal time to fit one when yo get the fix done as it will allow you to keep an eye on things. 👍

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The circuit upto the relay I'm going to say is fine, its showing voltage across all 4 pins from 5v to 12v, I suppose I should check continuity from the relay to vaporiser.
THE MOD looks CANNY like a fairly simple job to do, however, I've always known mine is quite lumpy idle when regen is in progress, also if I use app on android and it tells me the levels of soots & %.
Looking at replacing the unit, ebay list some units and it appears there's a few variants for vehicles kuga, mondog, cmax etc also transits look very similar.

Had one more look today found broken +tive feed is broke, not sure how I'm going to fix that back onto the vaporisor
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Steering wheel Rim Vehicle

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it possible do you think to re-crimp the +tive feed back onto the vaporisor, it looks like it's broke free from inside the the lug on the glow plug, maybe some soldering.
Need to know as I don't want to start without being able to complete the job in hand 1st time. Maybe I'll just but a new unit. And sell the old one if I can fix it they're going for stupid money on eBay...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Is it possible do you think to re-crimp the +tive feed back onto the vaporisor, it looks like it's broke free from inside the the lug on the glow plug, maybe some soldering.
Need to know as I don't want to start without being able to complete the job in hand 1st time. Maybe I'll just but a new unit. And sell the old one if I can fix it they're going for stupid money on eBay...
That would be my suggestion. Probably a lot easier to fix when off the vehicle as well - plus you can recoup some of the cost of getting a new one. What mileage is your car?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it's fixed. For how long is anyone's guess. But managed to install a small extension with a pin(old power lead CPU connector) directly on the the vaporisor glow plug - crimped the end of the lug glow plug, and connected through choc blok.
Dpf soot was at 125%
Cleared code p269f foracan.
Regeneration started almost straight away and completed 👍👍👍👇👉
Happy days are here again... Checked on mobile shown below. The 2.5 dpf soot reading = 25% it was upto 12.5=125%

Font Electronic device Gas Circle Communication Device

1 - 12 of 12 Posts