Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what exactly does the black padding under the bonnet do? would it cause any prblems if i removed it as i want to put 4 panels of mirror film in its place, is it nessacery to have it on to pass an mot test?

·
MEG Admiral
2,642 Posts
its sound proofing, ive removed mine and tbh it doesnt make a right lot of difference and its not an mot failure :L just pop the clips out about 15 of them i think

·
MEG Admiral
2,554 Posts
:gayfight: very chav.......... :eyesup:

·
MEG Admiral
2,642 Posts
lol agreed dont do it aaarrrggghhhh lol, only joking mate each to their own :L

·
ST200 baby
7,993 Posts
That is there to help the engine from getting to cold over night , i dont mean cold as in arrr porr thing but when its -2c etc it will help keep the cold out from the under skin of the bonnet , it will all so help the engine heat up quicker in a colder time as well , all so it will protect your paint work as that extream heat on the under skin could over the years fade or damge the paint , and it all so will make the engine sound that bit more quite.

what ever you do DO NOT put on the mirror things under your bonnet , it will cook your engine mate , i know this as it has happed to 2 peope i know of !!!!

Ryan :L

·
ST200 baby
7,993 Posts
Robbins said:
MONDYMANv6 said:
That is there to help the engine from getting to cold over night , i dont mean cold as in arrr porr thing but when its -2c etc it will help keep the cold out from the under skin of the bonnet , it will all so help the engine heat up quicker in a colder time as well , all so it will protect your paint work as that extream heat on the under skin could over the years fade or damge the paint , and it all so will make the engine sound that bit more quite.

what ever you do DO NOT put on the mirror things under your bonnet , it will cook your engine mate , i know this as it has happed to 2 peope i know of !!!!

Spot on.
Thank you :D

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ive already got a lot of chrome on the car, front and back nmber plate surrounds, sill panels, dashboard rings and quite a collection under the bonnet, the washers were just to finish things off

·
MEG Corporal
1,162 Posts
MONDYMANv6 said:

What?

My LX didnt have any.... ever. How come the paint on the turrets survives?

Mirror doesnt reflect heat, only light.

Now if your engine is glowing, you may have a small problem. Id suggest a new thermostat.

·
MEG Corporal
1,387 Posts
I think you'll find Mirror does reflect heat, thats how a thermos flask works, and some people have silver foil behind there central heating radiators, to reflect the heat back into the room.

·
MEG Corporal
1,162 Posts
A thermos works by keeping a vacuum between the liquid and the rest of the world. Vacuums dont pass heat. Therefore the liquid retains its heat.

The only way a mirror would reflect heat is to be hard (dense) - A piece of hardwood will reflect more heat than balsa wood because it is denser. And as the bonnet is made of steel, its pretty dense already. A piece of film wont make any difference.

The foamy layer under the bonnet wont even help during warm up, because (with any luck) there will be moving air in the engine bay which is there to cool the radiator. The moving air will insulate the foam from the engine.

·
MEG Corporal
1,387 Posts
If vacums don't pass heat, we would all be dead, and the world would be covered in snow and ice, the heat from the sun travels through space, which is a vacum, and heats the planet up. Those old electric fires used to have a mirrored curved back on them to reflect the heat into the room. Having said that, have a look at this,

http://home.howstuffworks.com/thermos2.htm

It sugests heat doesn't travel through vacum, so I don't know why we are not all frozen, but it does say mirror does reflect heat, I think a thermos flask was a bad example to use.

·
MEG Corporal
1,162 Posts
The earth is warmed by the light which travels through the vacuum of space, not heat. This is why its cold in winter (less sunshine due to tilt of the earth and all that.......).

You may also notice that old electric fires glow red - the mirror is there to reflect that particular wavelength of energy (which happens to be visible). Is the inside of your oven mirrored? No.

·
MEG Corporal
1,387 Posts
You beat me with your reply, after a bit of research, I realise I may be out of my depth a bit hear, I was quoting facts I thought I knew from school, many years ago. It looks like you could be right, Its all about wavelenghts and types of energy, all a bit beyond me,lol, I bow to your superior knowledge. Have you noticed how they spell vacum, VACUUM

·
Registered
205 Posts
The light itself has no heating effect, its the infared radiation given out by the sun that warms the air, this is a similar type of electrmagnetic radiation as light but is a different wave length and also invisible. Thats why mirrors are used round electric fires and radiators to reflect this back out to the room rather than the wall.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.