Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Pagid, Brembo, Eicher, or Mintex Brakes?

7K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  mike4369 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a 2003 Ford Focus Mk1 1.6, I wanted to get my brakes changed but i don't know which brands are the best for my style of driving. I'm a very, let's say aggressive driver, and I harsh brake and wheel spin occasionally so I wouldn't want my brakes to catch fire.

I was looking at Pagid Brembo Eicher or Mintex, I don't think Eicher is up there so unless i researched wrong I'm torn between the other 3.

Can anyone help? If you need any other info just let me know!

Thanks a lot

Marjon

#3 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a 2003 Ford Focus Mk1 1.6, I wanted to get my brakes changed but i don't know which brands are the best for my style of driving. I'm a very, let's say aggressive driver, and I harsh brake and wheel spin occasionally so I wouldn't want my brakes to catch fire.

I was looking at Pagid Brembo Eicher or Mintex, I don't think Eicher is up there so unless i researched wrong I'm torn between the other 3.

Can anyone help? If you need any other info just let me know!

Thanks a lot
Marjon
????????????

#4 ·
If you are replacing brakes because they are just worn out then I have used MIntex and found them to be equivalent to original factory parts.

If you need to upgrade because your brakes are not up to your driving style, then you might be best aiming your question to Focus RS owners, to see what they do. But upgrades are expensive! You may find uprated pads and maybe drilled/slotted discs will do the job for you (not too expensive) or you may need large disc, bigger callipers, etc.

#7 ·
Pagid isn't a budget brand, it's actually OE on VW for lots of their models, and front pads on merc vito from new out factory are pagid.

Pagid, mintex and textar are owned by TMD friction though,

Mintex is their budget brand, pagid is their middle of the road brand suitable for most use, and textar is their flagship product used on the higher end cars.. But doesn't have as extensive range available as pagid.

Eicher is eurocarparts own brand made to an extreme budget to their own specs by tmd friction, may even be rebranded mintex in some cases at least have no evidence to support.

Best brands are, textar, brembo, trw (VW, Renault OE), Bosch (Mercedes OE), ATE (Ford, Vauxhall OE), jurid (BMW OE)

Pagid (Mercedes, VW OE) is reasonable, I use them from time to time when the other brands aren't available used to use them more but on their disks found they cheapened up, and prefer textar as its a better pad from same company.

Wouldn't touch eicher though it's too cheap ecp was at 1 point selling these at £5 a set to trade... haven't checked if still are, apec is a matter of opinion, garages swear by them because they are cheap and meet regulation.

But personally don't rate them, too hard compound and too cheap sometimes and not used as OE by any car manufacturer that I'm aware of.

#9 ·
Hi

If you have not experienced any problems with the Ford items check there prices also.

Peter

#10 ·
Hi

If you have not experienced any problems with the Ford items check there prices also.

Peter
Ford pads are rebranded ATE in most cases unless originals were Bosch in which case rebranded Bosch, like you mentioned on mondeo, didn't know that. But presently ford use ATE on current models.

Mk3 mondeo Bosch makes sense though as master cylinder is Bosch.

Be careful though when ordering through ford. Most cars they have 2 options, ford and motorcraft.

Ask for ford and they give you motorcraft because they have a higher profit margin on them and are cheaper. Rather worryingly I've heard of at least 1 dealer who won't even acknowledge a ford pad exists on focus 2, because they stock motorcraft and want to sell motorcraft.

So when ordering if you want ford you need to be very specific it's ford ones you want.

Ford pads though aren't cheap, discounted expect on average around £50 for pads.

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.