Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
MEG Sergeant
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I am looking for a cheap run around for the other half and found a Peugeot 106 1.5l diesel on a 1996 plate, does anybody know is there anything I should look out for? do they have timing chains or belt and do they need replacing, if so what intervals?
sorry for questions but I am terrible when it comes to this sort of thing. :thankyousign:

·
Registered
562 Posts
A friend of mine had one and it did over 250,000 miles in that time. Pretty flimsy but it was cheap and cheerful and it did him well.

Try Parkers Online for more info on motors, but 106's are pretty cheap and flimsy, but durable and cheap to run. Froggy PSA diesels are also pretty good and will run for ever if treated right.

·
Administrator
13,790 Posts
Steph had a 106 for 5 years and it was a cracking little car, also a 96 N plate 1.5D. Not exactly quick but was very reliable - timing belt on the diesel, changes at 60K intervals (IIRC).

Nothing major to look out for, rusty earth bolt drivers side behind headlight can cause it to eat bulbs but thats about all the hassle we had (until I found said bolt!) - runs and runs for peanuts. Expect 60mpg ish.

·
MEG Sergeant
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers for all the info, what about the 306? any good?

·
Big Megger
203 Posts
Make sure the glow plugs are OK and also the camshaft sensor too - it should start after only a couple of turns of the starter after one pre-heat. If it doesn't then they could be on the way out and you are looking at a few hundred quid to sort. Other than that yep the 1.5 diesel lump is pretty much bulletproof. Make sure it has PAS, they are amazingly heavy on the steering around town without it.

Oh, and Pug 306 TD, now that would be my choice over a 106 diesel by a country mile. So much more comfortable and fun to drive, but yeah, don't lift off the loud pedal in a panic going round a bend unless you can be bloody quick with the steering! Fun when you want it to be, brown trousers time when you don't :D

Cheers,
J

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.