Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Megger
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a JVC KD-G402 CD/radio receiver fitted in her Alfa 146 TwinSpark and it has started to show some strange behaviour. The oddest of which is turning itself on overnight. I’m wondering if anyone here may have an answer.

The circumstances are as follows. Last Friday she returned home form work and said the unit was not working; it had on the way to work. It was powering up OK but there was no sound. All the controls were working, the volume control was showing an increase on screen and nothing appeared to be restricting the sound ie phone mute. Looking at the troubleshooting section in the manual gave no clues other than performing a reset of the unit. This I tried a couple of times without success.
I then removed the unit from the facia and disconnected the wiring plugs from the rear â€" they were seated properly â€" and replaced them and the sound returned. So I refitted the unit and all was fine. My wife used the car later but not the radio.

Now for the odd thing. The car was not used Saturday but on Sunday morning, whilst outside I heard the radio on in the car which I had to unlock to turn off. My wife used the car during the day (I don’t know if she used the radio) but I’m certain it was off later in the day. Monday morning and the same thing, car sat outside with the radio on.

The standard wiring in the Alfa has the radio powered directly ie not off the ignition switch. Other than a poltergeist anyone got any ideas? I know this is not a Mondeo problem but any suggestions welcome.
Thanks

·
Megger
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just got home and it's at it again. My wife swears blind she turned it off earlier.

·
at Vanishing Point....
3,994 Posts
Sounds like the On/Off switch is sticking. I have no idea how you'd sort that out tbh. Taking a radio apart isn't really something I want to do. Although I may have to do just that with mine as it like to shut itself off randomly (JVC again)

·
Big Megger
372 Posts
the only way round it would be to put in an extra wire so it switches with the ignition. Does the *** lighter only work with the ignition on? If so run it from that 12v supply.

Also, does it have a removeable faceplate? If so, just removing that should stop it from coming on.

Rich :)

·
Megger
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Rich, I'm thinking of putting an isolator switch inline somewhere. Yes taking the front off also works.

·
MEG Commander
2,969 Posts
bit off topic but nice avatar rhys :}

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.