Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

A friend of mine popped round yesterday with his pick up after coming back from the tip and showed me that his pick up bed didn't look right.

The drivers side rear has dropped down when I look underneath I saw the chassis has cracked on the inner faces either side in front of the spring hangers and near a body/chassis strengthening tube.

Its a 90's model I think I will get year later however just wanted some info on replacement chassis section parts do they make them? and since he lives a couple of hours away is there anything I can do to make it safer so he can drive it home?

·
I could do with a profile pic
1,855 Posts
You got a pic? Can't think where you are on about. If the chassis has cracked though resulting in the body dropping then he'd have to be mad to drive it 2hrs back. If it's already cracked its structural integrity is already seriously compromised, if it fails completely and he crashes then he could find himself in some serious trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You got a pic? Can't think where you are on about. If the chassis has cracked though resulting in the body dropping then he'd have to be mad to drive it 2hrs back. If it's already cracked its structural integrity is already seriously compromised, if it fails completely and he crashes then he could find himself in some serious trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely agree I do not want him or anyone else getting hurt either and sadly I don't have a photo I only saw it last night and the only garage nearby i s closed for their annual holiday Oh the Irony!!! especially as we are in the middle of nowhere.

As for the area I am talking about if you are underneath the truck and look up to the bed just past the diff and before the front spring hangars you will see a tubular bar that goes between the chassis rails this is where it has broken

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
If it has cracked behind the cab, and in front of the tub (like this Nissan Navarra, in the link below) the only fix would be to weld some plates across the splits. Nissan sell some chassis strengthening plates to fix the Navarras, I am not really familiar with the Rangers though, so i don't know if ford sell anything similar. I only know of the Navarra as we had one at work.

I definitely wouldn't recommend driving any vehicle in with a broken chassis like the Navarra in the video.

Pic is of the plates welded onto the Navarra chassis.

Attachments

·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it has cracked behind the cab, and in front of the tub (like this Nissan Navarra, in the link below) the only fix would be to weld some plates across the splits. Nissan sell some chassis strengthening plates to fix the Navarras, I am not really familiar with the Rangers though, so i don't know if ford sell anything similar. I only know of the Navarra as we had one at work.

I definitely wouldn't recommend driving any vehicle in with a broken chassis like the Navarra in the video.

Pic is of the plates welded onto the Navarra chassis.
Thanks for the photos and vid WOW that is bad!!!! and although not quite the same as not compeletly broke I agree I don't recommend driving it either I will taking a closer look on Monday and will take some pkoto's

·
340 Posts
Not sure what happened to my last post anyway WOW!! Scary video and nice welding job and I agree I will be advising him not to drive it, Although on his truck it is different in that there is a tube that runs side to side and this where it is broken, I will be having a proper look at it on Monday and once I have cleared the crud away I will take some photos and put them on here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts