Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ST200 baby
7,993 Posts
I would be a big job mate , have they gone or is it a case of a custom mod etc..

·
Registered
10,167 Posts
cheaper to transplant a second hand engine or a recon'd one. most garrages would change the piston these days, it wont be a cost effictive repair unless you running big power.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi people checked the compresion.the gunson compression would not screw in so i held it on the screw thread and my mrs cranked the engine.cylinder 1 was around 175 psi just under 12 bar.cylinders 2 3 and 4 was just slightly over 12 bar about 180 psi.so what do u thinks guys and girls.i think stem seals .

·
Registered
10,167 Posts
if its sterms it'll produce more blue smoke on start up but should reduce slightly after a longish run.

if its piston rings or or holed piston, more likely to produce just as much on start up as after a long run. so whens the blue smoke worse?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i started the car before i did the compression check.the usual smoke thatcomes out on start up in the cold weather.i could see a slight tint of blue smoke but it looks like it goes when the car warms up.

·
Registered
10,167 Posts
valve stems then. but you'l need to remove the head to be sure.

the blue smoke on start up will the oil thats been dripped from the valve while engines been off being burnt.
once the oil has been burn back off the blue stuff will dye down abit, as the built level off oil that was dripped off is burnt away.

wouldnt enterily rule out the rings just yet, tho until you got the head off.

·
Registered
10,167 Posts
the valve will have an oil build up, black sticky stuff on it, trust me you'l soon see, cuz the bad one will not look anything like the good. otherwise remove it and post a pic.

if i had mine sitting here id take a pic, off what mine looked like.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts