Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i bought my mondeo mk3 2 litre tdci about 9 months ago, after buying it i thought it seemed a tad sluggish for a tdci but seeming as i never owned one i thought it was just normal... when the revs hit 2k it seemed to pull away with increased acceleration... seemed fine.

9 months have passed and the last few weeks ive noticed an increase in black smoke coming out the back when i pull off. (does this cold and hot) but more so when cold.

and now today ive noticed a whissling like a sucking air sound when the turbo engages around 2k revs..... its very noticable where is this air coming from and could this be a turbo on the way out?

its had a full service in the last 2k miles.

any advice would be much appreciated

thanks

its 03 reg btw

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and also now i have near no turbo power..... very slugging even after 2k revs, like there is no turbo at all...

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
check the boost hose for cracks, best done when its taken off, if you are getting the whooshing sound...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
does that sound like the most likely cause then? dont know much about them lol.

just checked my haynes manual, cant even find "boost hose" in the turbo section hehe

just wondering if this sort of thing is gunna cost me loads or not...

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
there's a groupbuy on silicone ones on here, they are much better than the rubber ones, (if thats the problem) i've never had a turbo myself, but the boost hose is usually the best bit to look at first. Presumably you know what a turbo is, its the hose off the turbo to the intake manifold.

groupbuy: http://www.talkford....tercooler-hose/

there is a lot of posts about turbo problems in the mk3 diesel section, http://www.talkford....nes-mondeo-mk3/ you can reduce the amount of posts you need to look at using the search box at the top of the page, i usually go to the forum that the info is in, (i.e. click the link) then at the top it says "google site search", click on it and select "this forum" then you can enter key words and click the search icon (magnifying glass) this will only search that forum, not the whole site.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
other things to check are all the other hoses in the engine bay, again i recommend removal where possible, as you can flex the pipe and check for splits, Also check all the little hoses and those on the intercooler too, for condition and security, if you're lucky you may find one hose off, and it'll be a cheap "fix"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thankyou so much uve helped out loads and put my mind at ease lol, i'll get looking this weekend

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
no worries, mate, i see you've enquired about a silicone hose, in the groupbuy, wise investment even if yours is ok, even if it sits on the shelf in the shed for a while...

if you don't have any joy, give us a yell.

edit: might be worth reading: http://www.talkford....ommon-failures/

·
Super Moderator
30,338 Posts
Loss of boost with no flashing glowplug limp mode or engine light then most likely
a split boost pipe.

I had one pop off and it still ran OK at lower revs. But It did act like a rev limiter.

About 3000 revs and thats it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts